Error Connection failed Service nginx

• Hello,

I am applying to you because of an error I get and whose reason I can not understand.

My RPI is configured as a FTP server where 4 video cams continuously upload their snapshots (one every 3 seconds).

Every 3 hours a task of my computer uploads via FTP the backup of my documents directory.

During this backup I receive following email from OMV.

followed a few seconds later from another email.

What could be the reason and how could I solve it?

Tbanks,
    Daniele

• Offizieller Beitrag

What could be the reason

The RPi is slow and you are overloading it.

how could I solve it?

Use a faster system.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Isn't there a way to transfer the backup file without overloading the RPi?

throttle it? Not sure.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Last week I converted my PogoPlug E02 from Debian Wheezy to Jessie and installed OMV 3.0.64. Since then, I've been trying to track down this issue. At the end I came to the same conclusion as ryecoaaron. It's my PogoPlug E02 too slow to handle all the load.

The monit service periodically test HTTP and restarts nginx when the test fails. If the system is under heavy load, the test tends to fail when nginx doesn't respond fast enough. You may disable the HTTP test by commenting out this line in /etc/monit/conf.d/openmediavault-nginx.conf.

Code
    if failed host 127.0.0.1 port 80 protocol http then restart

Then restart monit. Of course, that also remove the ability of nginx restarting automatically when it really fails. So, in stead, I propose changing the line to

Code
    if failed host localhost port 80 protocol http timeout 20 seconds for 2 times within 3 cycles then restart

What that line does is to increase timeout from 5 sec (default) to 20 sec and restart nginx only when tests in 2 out of 3 cycles failed. Those numbers can be changed to see what work best. At least for my PogoPlug, that change stabilizes OMV 3.0.64 to be usable even though the CPU usage hits 100% often.

With all that said, my puny PogoPlug was quite usable with OMV 2.x without having to meddle with monit. OMV 3.0.x seems to put heavier load on the box.

OpenMediaVault 7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) :thumbup:
    HARDWARE: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 | SYSTEM: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) aarch64

KERNEL: Linux 6.1.21-v8+ | PROCESSOR: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz | MEMORY: 4GB | STORAGE: MicroSD 60GB + HDD 6TB
    PLUGINS: nut, omvextrasorg, backup, compose, cputemp, flashmemory, kernel, remotemount, sharerootfs

DOCKER: nginx proxy manager, pi-hole, wireguard, transmission

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von kochin ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV 3.0.x seems to put heavier load on the box.

It isn't OMV putting the heavier load. It is systemd (and other components) that is part of Debian Jessie.

• Thanks for advising.

I will try it.

I am wondering, isn't there a way to avoid overloading for instance reducing the priority of one ftp task?

• I am wondering, isn't there a way to avoid overloading for instance reducing the priority of one ftp task?

My experiences tell me FTP transmissions don't put much load on the system but use network bandwidth. It seems that my PogoPlug suffers high load mostly when the system is doing background housekeeping tasks.

OpenMediaVault 7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) :thumbup:
    HARDWARE: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 | SYSTEM: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) aarch64

KERNEL: Linux 6.1.21-v8+ | PROCESSOR: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz | MEMORY: 4GB | STORAGE: MicroSD 60GB + HDD 6TB
    PLUGINS: nut, omvextrasorg, backup, compose, cputemp, flashmemory, kernel, remotemount, sharerootfs

DOCKER: nginx proxy manager, pi-hole, wireguard, transmission

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!