The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

At first glance, it appears to fully support DNSMasq which means it could be configured to do just about anything related to DNS and DHCP.

It does except for the tftp features. If the plugin doesn't have an option, it can usually be added in the extra options box.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you given any thought to the DNS/DHCP server plugin for OMV? You could load it up without activating it.

Just installed it and it does indeed appear to do both....so here's a n00b question :P

My current OMV:

1) Will have to have a static ip address
    2) Docker plugin would have to installed to follow your guide for pi hole or do I just install it via cli
    3) Do Docker containers have to have a static ip address.

So to use this I'm going to have to assign a static ip address to OMV and my laptop so that everything can be set up and configured, this would also allow me to turn off the DHCP option on the router whilst I'm setting this up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never used OMV's DHCP server / Local DNS so I can't advise you there. However, I'd test the DHCP server a bit before diving in, to insure you have the set up right.

After that:
    Going back to the How To, when you're ready to cut PI-hole, you'd switch the DNS address in the plugin to Pi-Holes IP. (Otherwise I imagine that OMV would use it's own address as DNS, for the DHCP leases it issues, by default.)

On Docker IP addresses:
    Dockers usually are configured for "host" which, among other things, use the host IP address and it's ports. If there's no conflict, OR if "well known ports" can be remapped, host mode works fine.
    Pi-hole is a special case. It needs exclusive access to port 80, and so did OMV,, so.... macvlan was used to provision a separate address.

You'd have to do the Pi-Hole install from the GUI plugin - using the "How To" - not the command line. I've learned a bit about
    docker but I have no idea how to setup a macvlan driver/interface on the command line (yet).

- The OMV server needs a static address outside of the DHCP scope you're planning to use, especially if you're going to use it as a DHCP server. I'd also statically address your upstream DNS server, in OMV, as describe in the "How To", so OMV connects direct to authoritative DNS.

- As your LAN DNS server Pi-hole, also, gets its' own static address. (From what I gleaned from their forum, Pi-hole needs port 80 to do full page blocks. I tested this and it's, indeed, true.)

The way I addressed them, OMV has x.x.x.55, Pi-hole has .56 (Easy to remember.)

Out of curiosity, what's the Laptop being used for?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Out of curiosity, what's the Laptop being used for?

Laptop is my general workhorse Linux Mint, so for me to do all this initially I would have to apply a static ip.

I've never used OMV's DHCP server / Local DNS so I can't advise you there. However, I'd test the DHCP server a bit before diving in, to insure you have the set up right.

That was my thought, apply a static ip to OMV and my laptop, start the ip range from around 100 to 350, disable DHCP on the router.....but initially leave the router as the DNS setting within OMV's DHCP although I could use OMV's new ip address for DNS as per the plugin.....TEST!!

If that works for everything, then follow your Howto and install pi-hole using macvlan.....macvlan must be the same as MS's vlan setting when setting up Virtual Servers on Server 2012.

The way I addressed them, OMV has x.x.x.55, Pi-hole has .56 (Easy to remember.)

Ok just to clarify, you changed OMV's port from 80 to 55 and Pi-holes from 80 to 56

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. That was my thought, apply a static ip to OMV and my laptop, start the ip range from around 100 to 350, disable DHCP on the router.....but initially leave the router as the DNS setting within OMV's DHCP although I could use OMV's new ip address for DNS as per the plugin.....TEST!!
    If that works for everything, then follow your Howto and install pi-hole using macvlan.....macvlan must be the same as MS's vlan setting when setting up Virtual Servers on Server 2012.

2. Ok just to clarify, you changed OMV's port from 80 to 55 and Pi-holes from 80 to 56

1. With a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (CIDR notation /24), the range of addresses available will run from 1 to 255. (I.E. 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255 The last, 255, is not usable. 255 is the network broadcast address. Any number above 255 is invalid in IPV4.)
    So your DHCP scope would have to be "within" the 1 to 254 range and, generally, 50 addresses is more than enough. In my case, I start my range at 192.168.1.50 and end it at 99. In your case, you could use the same address range as set in your Home Hub.

2. I was referring to IP addresses for OMV (192.168.1.55) and the Pi-Hole container (192.168.1.56) . I used separate addresses so port remapping wouldn't be required. (Which reduces Pi-Holes function.)
    -The addresses I used, above, are inside my DHCP range but they're reserved. (So the DHCP server won't try to re-issue them.)
    -In your case, it would be best set both addresses outside of your DHCP range.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was referring to IP addresses for OMV (192.168.1.55) and the Pi-Hole container (192.168.1.56) .

Ok I'll go sit in the dumb corner :rolleyes: if I had read your post correctly i.e. x.x.x.55 that should have been enough to tell me their ip addresses and not port No references.

The set up then would be similar to how to school was set up, a range of addresses set aside/reserved for static which were outside the DHCP scope for OMV, Pi-hole and possibly my laptop.

So basically it should all be straightforward, if I set up OMV's DHCP first and test it for a few days, then install Pi-hole it should all hopefully work without any disruption to the rest of the house...he says.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok I'll go sit in the dumb corner :rolleyes: if I had read your post correctly i.e. x.x.x.55 that should have been enough to tell me their ip addresses and not port No references.

Yeah, that's like me wondering about the password for a PHP login... :whistling:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, that's like me wondering about the password for a PHP login

:thumbup::thumbup:

Was just checking docker in OMV Extras, I see there is a Docker CE which replaces the old Docker repo, I take it I would install this rather than Docker.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know what the real difference between the two is other than, "CE" is the community edition (which may not include "pay for" docker(s) or dockers with premium plugins). I'm still on the old docker repo, but at OMV 3.0.90 I'm not fully up to date.
    In any case, I believe all these images come from the docker hub so, if you pull the right image name, you'll get the right one.

(I've been playing with Docker for awhile, but I'm way short of knowing all the "in's and out's". The depth of the offerings on the hub are simply amazing.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The difference is EE - Enterprise Edition or CE - Community Edition. The CE repo is what you want. The EE repo gets into exotic server "stuff". After taking a quick look at the differences, it makes good sense to divide it up.

In a VM - I loaded up RancherOS server, on top of Ubuntu Server 16.04 (the entire build took about 15 minutes or so), and was amazed, yet again, at the Rancher web GUI and the tailored offerings from Amazon and several other cloud service providers. (It's all right there.) From there, it would be possible to have server instances up and running in minutes. (Not that I could do it in minutes,, the devil is in the details.)

Man,, it's almost depressing. I am way out of date...

On the other hand, I don't care! :D Retirement is good. :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

The difference is EE - Enterprise Edition or CE - Community Edition. The CE repo is what you want.

Right Ok CE it is.....well just set up DHCP and it works Ok, gonna have a static range from 40-49 then leases from 50-70, I've left DNS as the router for the present time.

Man,, it's almost depressing. I am way out of date...

Is that use by or best before date :D:D

On the other hand, I don't care! Retirement is good.

8) we could start a senior citizens thread :whistling::whistling:

• Offizieller Beitrag

... just set up DHCP and it works Ok, gonna have a static range from 40-49 then leases from 50-70, I've left DNS as the router for the present time.

Anything outside of your DHCP range "50 - 70" can be used for static addressing. Assuming a 255.255.255.0 mask, 1 to 49 and 71 to 254 could be used for static addresses.

Is that use by or best before date :D:D

It think it would be, "Best if used before", date. That's what retirement is, "when you've given so much, there's nothing left to use."

8) we could start a senior citizens thread :whistling::whistling:

Age'ist!! I'll have you know that I'm a card carrying member of the Grey Panthers, "sonny". We don't take remarks like that lying down. (They're much better with a nap. )

• Offizieller Beitrag

Anything outside of your DHCP range "50 - 70" can be used for static addressing. Assuming a 255.255.255.0 mask, 1 to 49 and 71 to 254 could be used for static addresses.

Yeah all works well, the only option there isn't within the plugin is to delete/remove a lease, I'm going to let this run for a week before picking up your Pi-Hole howto.

It think it would be, "Best if used before", date. That's what retirement is, "when you've given so much, there's nothing left to use."

I would agree and disagree, because whilst technology, techniques have changed the fundamental core hasn't + I think the older you get the more time you put in to get something to work. Your Docker/Pi-Hole howto is a testament to that. I remember reading the guide about creating plugins...3 times and it still wouldn't sink in.

Age'ist!! I'll have you know that I'm a card carrying member of the Grey Panthers, "sonny". We don't take remarks like that lying down. (They're much better with a nap. )

:D:D:D Grey Panthers sounds like a local street gang 8) I do take the point about the nap though one should prioritise :whistling::whistling:

• Offizieller Beitrag

:D:D:D Grey Panthers sounds like a local street gang 8) I do take the point about the nap though one should prioritise :whistling::whistling:

Well they're kind of like a street gang,, except they're not in the street. They like gathering at McDonalds, talking about hot momma's with an annuity, and refilling coffee cups from the day before. (In retirement, every little bit helps!) :D

Really, they were a second, fall-back choice. The International Order of Old Bastards wouldn't have me. :/

On something a bit more serious :rolleyes: , how did you redirect a thread to the General category, when you started this one?

• Offizieller Beitrag

They like gathering at McDonalds, talking about hot momma's with an annuity, and refilling coffee cups from the day before. (In retirement, every little bit helps!)

:D:D:D now that is funny....I was talking to a female at a call centre the other, for some reason we got talking and she was telling me when she goes out shopping with her granddaughter and grandmother they usually end in McDonalds, one normal meal and two happy meals 8) so happy meals aren't just for the kids :P

On something a bit more serious , how did you redirect a thread to the General category, when you started this one?

I didn't re direct it, I posted I was starting another thread as we were getting off track and just linked it and used your comment as a quote to start it off. I find this happens a lot in forums, the original thread goes off track or it gets hijacked....by doing this we been able to continue with both technical and any other sh!te we want to talk about :thumbup: but if you notice the thread gets viewed a lot.
    This also allows us to go over something more than once and in detail, and it allows us to go off at a tangent before coming back to what we were discussing. Now to someone asking for specific help they go WTF!! I don't need to know that.
    I remember a thread somewhere on here regarding VB, one of the comments I made was that VB is a desktop application....why? because on their own website is states that it installs like any other program the wiki implies that, the point I was trying to make is that VB is not Hyper-V as per this wiki however, the other point I was trying to make is that some machines within the bios allow you to 'turn on' virtualisation this allows you to assign say 2 cores to VB's processor and in some cases a vlan.
    Anyway I dropped it because I felt my point was being missed, but it was also getting a little agitated, or at least I felt it was. The thing is in here we can discuss, agree, agree to disagree, about anything and everything.....if you look back at the length of this of thread we have talked about all sorts, technical, views, personal, perhaps we should rename the thread 'The Old Farts' or 'The Interesting Old Bastards' either way who cares :D:D:D
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, on a technical note, DHCP has been working via OMV just fine, so at some point this week (having installed Docker) I'm going to try Pi-Hole....this is going to be interesting as you mentioned things like Netflix and possible issues with other streaming aps.

Well, are you sitting comfortably, then I'll begin.....over here, probably there a number of options for TV, I have Sky basically because it has everything I need, I've just upgraded to their new hardware Sky Q, I have a main box downstairs and a mini upstairs....but only the main box is connected to the satellite dish, the mini accesses the main box via Ethernet or WiFi.
    The main box is connected via Ethernet, the mini, after some trial and error will only work on WiFi.....getting to the core and after asking on the Sky forum turns out this new Sky kit creates it's own Mesh WiFi using WPS....the main box connects to my network and picks up an ip address so does the mini, but the mini seems to obtain this by using the main box wps connection to my network. Both boxes require a broadband connection otherwise they barf!! still not worked that out....what I am wondering, and I'm not going to know until I add Pi-Hole if there will be any issues regarding dns....whilst both boxes are set to dhcp I am tempted to try one of them or both with a static ip once Pi-Hole is installed to see if there is a problem as you can't release the dhcp connection from OMV unless you reduce the lease time from the GUI.

Ok that's enough drivel for one day :rolleyes:

• Offizieller Beitrag

:D:D:D now that is funny....I was talking to a female at a call centre the other, for some reason we got talking and she was telling me when she goes out shopping with her granddaughter and grandmother they usually end in McDonalds, one normal meal and two happy meals 8) so happy meals aren't just for the kids :P

There's a fast food place, close by, name Hardee's. They sell a meal that consists of 2 small burgers, a small fry, a cookie, and a small drink for $5 USD. (In the US, in most of the fast food places, soft drink refills while in the restaurant, are free. So when it comes to drinks, small = large.) Anyway, I saw this older trim and fit couple, order one (1) of these meals. They had a burger each, and split the fries and the drink. That could be taken as being cheap but I was thinking, really, that's all the calorie count they'd need at their age. Cheap? Maybe. Smart? Definitely.

Anyway, on a technical note, DHCP has been working via OMV just fine, so at some point this week (having installed Docker) I'm going to try Pi-Hole....this is going to be interesting as you mentioned things like Netflix and possible issues with other streaming aps.

With the DHCP function being run by your OMV server, you have nothing to worry. Given ryecoarron's statement about the OMV DHCP plugin, I have high confidence that you'll have Zero issues with multicast.
    With the way the Docker works (with a macvlan driver) it was the using Pi-Hole as a DHCP server that I was concerned about. Even at that, I might have been overly cautious. (A quick test revealed that Pi-hole's basic DHCP function worked.)

I just couldn't come up with a way to test multicast and/or DLNA, without enabling questionable features on my "Not-So-Smart-TV".) Since it's run on the class "D" network range, multicast is an odd service. It's a "broadcast" to "selected addresses", which is a conflict of terms. It's handled as a kind of "group subscription". Anyway, a DHCP server needs to know how to deal with it and given the odd config on the Docker (and no testing) there was no way to be sure it would work. (Hence, the caveat.)

Setting the above aside, it is possible that Pi-Hole may restrict something that you way want. (But I seriously doubt the "pay for services" would be affected.) In that case, if there's an issue, you'd want to whitelist the service. Sifting this out of Pi-holes logs is easy. Entries are in the GUI fall under two indicators, OK or Pi-holed :) . It's just a click to whitelist or blacklist. (In the following example, Pi-Hole is preventing M$ spying.)

Well, are you sitting comfortably, then I'll begin.....over here, probably there a number of options for TV, I have Sky basically because it has everything I need, I've just upgraded to their new hardware Sky Q, I have a main box downstairs and a mini upstairs....but only the main box is connected to the satellite dish, the mini accesses the main box via Ethernet or WiFi.The main box is connected via Ethernet, the mini, after some trial and error will only work on WiFi.....getting to the core and after asking on the Sky forum turns out this new Sky kit creates it's own Mesh WiFi using WPS....the main box connects to my network and picks up an ip address so does the mini, but the mini seems to obtain this by using the main box wps connection to my network. Both boxes require a broadband connection otherwise they barf!! still not worked that out....what I am wondering, and I'm not going to know until I add Pi-Hole if there will be any issues regarding dns....whilst both boxes are set to dhcp I am tempted to try one of them or both with a static ip once Pi-Hole is installed to see if there is a problem as you can't release the dhcp connection from OMV unless you reduce the lease time from the GUI.

While at least one of those boxes would need at least one IP address in your network, they may be using another method to link with each other. It's possible to run two (or more) IP networks (with different IP addressing) on a LAN or wireless network (Ethernet - physical layer) at the same time, without a VLAN. It's not best practice, but it works fine.
    While this is speculation - these boxes may well connect to each other on an odd network in the same manner that Docker uses on the local host. (Docker appears to set up a local net on the Docker host, 172.x.x.x, to communicate with containers.) If this is the case, the link between the boxes may be statically matched/addressed. And with the compression algorithms these days, 720p can stream in as little as 3MBS. Either way, wired or wireless, 3MBS is not much of a load on your LAN.

Between these "Sky boxes" and your modem/router/home hub items, it seems service providers do curious things in the UK. But if it works, it works. In the bottom line, with OMV as your DHCP server, I believe you're going to be fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It never rains but what it pours, that's a saying from my Grandmother.....what a crap week!! Took me ages to figure out what was going on, finally after trying so may options I decided to buy two new network switches....did I need two, probably not but I decided to buy two identical ones make and model....now my network is running again. What a pia!! Either both or one of the switches was acting up gave the impression that there was a network loop when clearly there wasn't!! Anyway now finally resolved and running smoothly including my Kodi Pi which is talking to my Emby server, set up with the Unity Skin and the Emby Sync plugin :thumbup::thumbup:

Pi-Hole

Just finished installing, couple of errors but that was my fault I really should read the OP's howto more thoroughly :S but it is running and I can get to the Web GUI, now we'll just watch and wait, see if there are any issues, but my guess is there won't be, have added Pi-hole DNS to OMV's DHCP and reduced the lease time down to two days.

Edit

Changed DNS setting on my laptop (static ip) rebooted, now showing Pi-Hole as DNS, logged into web gui and can see it's working :thumbup: at the bottom of the page it says there are some updates to Pi-Hole and web interface do these get done automatically within the container? and if so is it just a case of waiting.

Cheap? Maybe. Smart? Definitely.

As you get older you become wiser, and establishments are less likely to challenge you. I get 10% at a local DIY store Weds only...so when do we go, Weds.
    It's like Saturday's the only time we can food shop, but the number of OAP's that food shop on a Saturday is phenomenal, it's built into the Brits to food shop on Saturday.....why when they can shop anytime during the week when others are working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With switches these days, even consumer models, you could actually create hard wired loops or (untrunked) parallel paths and the spanning tree protocol would block the appropriate ports. If you actually had some sort of spanning tree protocol failure, it would result in an instant crash from endlessly looping (and multiplying) broadcasts.

It's like Saturday's the only time we can food shop, but the number of OAP's that food shop on a Saturday is phenomenal, it's built into the Brits to food shop on Saturday.....why when they can shop anytime during the week when others are working.

I've traveled extensively and have noted a few axioms, as I would define them, regarding cultural development. Two of the primary influences in cultural development are the construction materials available in the area (for homes, farms, buildings) and the indigenous plants and animals used for food. It can be surprising how many social conventions and rituals spring from those two environmental factors. Much can be explained if one looks at them logically.
    Then there are the odd, inexplicable, developments that defy explanation. For example, the "Derby" was introduce to the natives in Bolivia and their men rejected them outright. However, for reasons unknown, women simply love them. (And another oddity is that they like them too small to fit. They "pin" them in place or do a balancing act.)

The shopping on Saturday (only) thing, in the UK, seems odd. I'd wonder if there is a practical reason that goes back to antiquity, but it might be one of those social developments that defy explanation.
    (Here? Me and my wife avoid the crowds when and where we can but I wouldn't complain in any case. In retirement, we have one Sunday and six Saturdays a week. :thumbup: )

On your current set up with Pi-hole:
    If you see "can't connect" in a browser window, that's usually pi-hole at work. Note that you may be stopped from going to legitimate sites, if it's done by an advertising server "redirect". Meaning, you could be on a shopping site and click on another shopping site, in a banner, and it's stopped because the link is proxied/directed through an advertising server. You'll find this happens on occasion. Rather than whitelist an advertising server or domain, I go direct to the shopping site.

On the other hand, if all sites you attempt to connect to give a "can't connect" message, you'd need to look at your OMV server and the pi-hole container. I don't think that will be an issue. I've had pi-hole up for about 2 months and there have been zero problems.
    Along similar lines, if you need to Doctor your OMV server, you'll need to be prepared to reactivate the DHCP server on the homehub and change the DNS setting (to 8.8.8.8) until you're finished. Finally, now that you have a production docker in use, testing new Dockers on your server should be avoided. It's best to test new Dockers in a VM.
    (I inadvertently deleted my working Pi-Hole container, when attempting to delete some other container I was just trying out. I rebuilt it in record time. :) )

• Offizieller Beitrag

With switches these days, even consumer models, you could actually create hard wired loops or (untrunked) parallel paths and the spanning tree protocol would block the appropriate ports. If you actually had some sort of spanning tree protocol failure, it would result in an instant crash from endlessly looping (and multiplying) broadcasts.

Never thought of that one, I have a spare switch and that made no difference either, but then that just suddenly died, powered off not to power on again. The two new unmanaged 10/100/1000 are working better, even via the powerline adaptors so I'm happy.

The shopping on Saturday (only) thing, in the UK, seems odd. I'd wonder if there is a practical reason that goes back to antiquity, but it might be one of those social developments that defy explanation.

Tell me about it, I can remember as a kid shopping was always done on a Saturday, because Dad was working and then it was like a family outing...this was when 'supermarkets' were just coming into fruition....and you didn't go to one place (as we do today) certain food items were bought from particular stores, including the local market. As I got older I could buy Levi's and Ben Sherman's from the market cheaper than a retail store.

Pi-Hole

I'll keep a watch on your comments, but so far it all looks Ok, but then again no-one else in the family has complained....yet!! But initially I'm impressed my 'home town' produces an evening paper which is also published online I read it to keep up to date with the football (soccer), the site has moved to heavy advertising it can be so bad it's impossible to read an article until all the ads have loaded....now with Pi-Hole no ads :thumbup: and I can read an article, you occasionally get a blank space where an ad banner would be but at least I can scroll through and read it.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

With the recent changes I've made to OMV I'm going to have to shut it down so that I can clone the USB, I'm just impressed at what OMV is capable of with little overhead.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tell me about it, I can remember as a kid shopping was always done on a Saturday, because Dad was working and then it was like a family outing...this was when 'supermarkets' were just coming into fruition....and you didn't go to one place (as we do today) certain food items were bought from particular stores, including the local market. As I got older I could buy Levi's and Ben Sherman's from the market cheaper than a retail store.

Careful! You're dating yourself here. I imagine that you've played a vinyl record or (gasp) dialed a telephone.. 8o ..?
    Should I send you an application for the Grey Panthers..?? :D

Pi-Hole
    I'll keep a watch on your comments, but so far it all looks Ok, but then again no-one else in the family has complained....yet!! But initially I'm impressed my 'home town' produces an evening paper which is also published online I read it to keep up to date with the football (soccer), the site has moved to heavy advertising it can be so bad it's impossible to read an article until all the ads have loaded....now with Pi-Hole no ads :thumbup: and I can read an article, you occasionally get a blank space where an ad banner would be but at least I can scroll through and read it.

On Pi-hole:
    I installed it, redirected DNS to it and informed the wife of what I did. I asked for her observations, input, and overall opinion. It was apparent in less that 24 hours, actually within the first few hours, that we wouldn't be going back. We're both readers and the difference for some of the sites we visit was like night and day. I mean, I have smokin' fast Net connection but advertising, videos in particular, was killing the performance of the browser application. That can't be completely fixed with a fast client or a fast net connection. (As it seems, a browser can handle only so much connections and concurrent I/O.)
    As you observed, after the install, it was possible to read a page without the distractions and slow downs. Awesome! I've even noticed that sites that can detect Ad Blockers, usually don't detect Pi-Hole. Their DNS approach works.
    These are the reasons why I was pushing it so hard. Even if one didn't adopt it, it's worth a try in a throw away Docker.

With that said, I don't know the ages of all the kids you have in the house but they may be restricted from sites of, well,, "questionable integrity" :) . (Since you can blacklist or add external lists, you could add a "Net-nanny" list as well.) Frankly, we were happy about that. While it doesn't happen often, there's nothing more annoying than being unknowingly redirected and seeing smut in a popup. By removing the bulk of the advertising sites along with the the phishing/hacking/malware/spying sites, the security profile is significantly improved as well. If there's a bit of inconvenience on the odd page, here and there, it's well worth it.

With the recent changes I've made to OMV I'm going to have to shut it down so that I can clone the USB, I'm just impressed at what OMV is capable of with little overhead.

You're cloning USB drives! That was a good decision. :thumbup: I've been running my new server for a few months and I've yet to use a USB clone to bring it back up. (My fingers are crossed.) Even with the R-PI and using junky generic SD-cards over a few years, I've only had to recover a few times. It was the first R-PI event, and the PITA that reconfiguration entailed, that got me looking for a way to get back up painlessly and fast. While one can pick a convenient time to take a server down for cloning the boot drive, there is no faster or simpler way to recover then, "insert and boot".

Yeah, I have to admit that after adopting OMV, I found Windows to be the PITA resource hog it is. After getting past the practical issues, it was the extensible nature of OMV and open source in general, that won me over. There's a world of add-on's available in plugin's, Dockers, or direct install. There's something for everyone. It's just a matter of finding and configuring it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!