Suggested hardware upgrades for OMV server, left on 24/7.

• Hello,

I am having a bit of a mess around with my headless server at the moment, currently specs are:

G1840
    MSI B85M-E45
    12GB RAM (2x4GB and 2x2GB)
    1 x 64GB Crucial M4 SSD
    2 x 2TB Samsung F4 Harddrives
    1 x 6TB WD Red Harddrive
    HVR-2200 twin DVB-T tuner (PCI-e)
    KWorld single DVB-T tuner (PCI)
    Superflower Golden Green 350w PSU
    Tower with 1 x 140mm exhaust fan and 1 x 120mm intake fan (both fans thermo-regulated).

I am running Openmediavault 3 and am using TVHeadend to do all my recordings.

Despite messing around with various plugins and scripts, I am still unable to have the server go into sleep mode when inactive for 15 minutes and then automatically wake up for any scheduled recordings during that time.

I have been having to leave my server on 24/7 but it is not all that economical and it is very wasteful, given that it is only used for about 50% of the time.

One other thing I have been looking into is to upgrade to four tuners and also upgrade to DVB-T2.

I was going to buy a quad DVB-T2 tv tuner from TBS, but have since realised that two HDHomeruns might give me more flexibility.

My original plan was to buy a separate Raspberry Pi3 and run TVHeadend on that 24/7. The Pi could then use WOL to wake the server from sleep mode for recordings.

However, the major drawback of this plan is the 100 Mb ethernet throughput - there would not be enough bandwidth to send multiple HD streams, from two HDHomeruns, to the server via the Pi.

I was advised, on another forum, to consider an Odroid C2 instead, which not only comes with Gigabit ethernet but also 2GB of RAM. This should, in theory, be able to handle all the recordings I could throw at it.

It was only then that I came across the Odroid XU4. Not only does that come with Gigabit ethernet and 2GB of RAM but also USB 3.0 as well. I started to think that the XU4 was perhaps so good that I could just use it instead of my server - i.e. I could just install OMV and TVHeadend on it and connect all my hard drives via a USB3 caddy. It uses a fraction of the power of my server and could just be left on all the time.

What do you guys think I should do?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!