Connecting my NAS to my router through Wifi

• Hey everyone,

I'm really sorry if that kinda post already exists.
    I've tried to find anything on the web that could help me, but as long as I'm noob on Linux (and French), it can be hard, sometimes, to get through technical documentation.

So, here is my problem :

I got my home made NAS.
    It is now far from my router, so i have to put some wifi dongle to connect it.
    But i dont know how to proceed.

My Wifi dongle is : Belkin N150 Surf USB Wireless Adapter.
    Thanks to lsusb, i've found the chipset it uses : Realtek RTL8188CE-VAU.
    And I got this information : F7D1102

I went to this page, selected the good chipset and followed this link.

And now, I dont know how to use the Linux drivers. I've downloaded the archive. But as you can see, I'm on another PC to post this.
    So it seems i have to put it on a USB stick, plug it into the NAS, mount it, etc.
    But I dont know how to do it :/

I would really appreciate your help.
    I'm fed up I cant use my NAS since I've moved on :(

• Besides using Wifi, which we don't recomment, performancewise, can you use something different to connect the NAS to your network? Lan over Ethernet or a long Ethernetcable?

I can tell you, you don't want to connect your NAS via wifi to your network.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• For sure, I rather put an Ethernet cable.
    What do you mean by Lan over Ethernet ? Is it like "CPL" in France ?

If yes, no I cant use that way. Because this house got an old electric system.
    And a long Ethernet cable isnt possible because I dont own the house, and the cable would go through several rooms, and stairs.

There are two solutions left, to my mind :
    Wifi, which seems to be very complicated.
    Or move my NAS next to the router, but I got to ask the dudes I share the house with.

• I meant Lan over Power, sry.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Okay so yeah Lan over Power = CPL in France.
    And so, as I said, the connection through LoP would be amazingly shitty with the electric system we got in this house.

Last question : can I use that kinda stuff for wifi ?
    I've tried it on my PC and it works good !

Else I'm gonna ask the dudes if I can put the NAS next to the router then.

• What is your connection speed to your Router with that device?

Think about what a speed is neccessary on a NAS to get smooth availability for media streaming or placing data onto it. You won't get much out of it if using wifi.

Greetings
    David

• I'm glad I could help you ;)

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!