Cache for OMV

• Hi there

I've been searching around a little even tried to use the search function to see if anyone had any experience with OMV and bcache (http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/), or any other Linux cache for that sake.

So my question goes, would it be a possible feature for OMV as a future thing and does anyone have experiencing with bcache in general, I mean performance gain - Consequences of implementing it etc.

• What kind of speed improvements do you expect?

Faster boot? faster file transfers? ...?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• davidh2k

Zitat

What kind of speed improvements do you expect?

Faster boot? faster file transfers? ...?

- I would expect faster file transfers, access times yes. When I read about bcache they write there has been put a lot of effort into making the system as reliable as possible even in power-loss situations, though loosing the SSD will of course cause data loss if using the writeback feature, but so would any other raid-controller with writeback cache enabled if the controller breaks.

@tekkbebe

Zitat

My only comment is this would reduce the reliability of a server. For what gains? We are not gaming here.

- Okay so in short what you are saying is that bcache, flashcache is pure fiction and that those who developed it, did it to ruin peoples systems. (I can see Facebook running incredible unstable, as far as I know they were the main drive behind flachcache). But thanks for the very constructive critics, very well formulated.

• What I am saying is we have many people here that are not advanced Linux users. If there were a problem with the cache it is not something that could be easily fixed by them. Do you think the companies you mentioned have their IT departments run by novices? I am not telling you to not experiment, or anyone else. But something like this is at your own risk.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

What I am saying is we have many people here that are not advanced Linux users. If there were a problem with the cache it is not something that could be easily fixed by them. Do you think the companies you mentioned have their IT departments run by novices? I am not telling you to not experiment, or anyone else. But something like this is at your own risk.

I never said anything about novices/not so advanced users, I asked if anyone had any experience with it, gains, consequences etc.! If the cache gets ruined you revert to backup in most cases anyway, since the data loss In most cases would be to expensive to recover if even possible. I know the company I mentioned is not run by novices, that was not my question in the first place, but your statement was that these types of case were pointless and would compromised the reliability of the servers. Period!
    I'm just asking if anyone has tried this, since I am going to in the near future - And since Debian has always been my favorite linux flavor I would try going with OMV - So I am a bit disappointing with the outbreak I got.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!