Data transfert with USB hard drive ?

• Hello,

I'm going to build my first NAS with an old Dell Precision 380 workstation.
    I've made some tries with FreeNAS, I ran it from a USB key, it was nice!
    But I just discover OpenMediaVault, and I would like to know if it can be better for me?

All my data are currently on USB hard drives (NTFS or FAT32).
    Is it possible to transfert data from a USB hard drive (NTFS or FAT32 or exFAT) to my NAS by connecting directly it on my OpenMediaVault machine?
    Or do I have to transfert all data by the network?

I would like to have a backup/mirror copy of my NAS data on a USB hard drive, readable from Windows computer?
    Can I do that with OpenMediaVault?

Is it possible to run OpenMediaVault OS from a USB key?

Thanks for your help and advices :)
    Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can plugin and mount those drives. You can setup samba shares or winscp to move it around. The usbbackup plugin will sync a share to a usb drive like you want.

Can you run OMV on a usb stick? yes. Should you run omv on a usb stick? NO. You will kill it quickly.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks ryecoaaron, I'll switch to OMV, instead of FreeNAS :)

Could you tell me if my USB hard drive can be in NTFS, exFAT or FAT32, to be able to transfert data to and from OMV?

Another question about USB hard drive, do you know if there were a difference between USB2 and USB3 under OMV?
    Does Debian support USB3 specifications?

Thanks a lot :)
    Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

exfat won't work. I haven't used any usb3 devices but I think you need the backports 3.2 kernel to use usb3. If you have the omvextras plugin installed, there is a button to install the 3.2 kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!