10Gb/s direct connect between OMV and Windows Workstation?

• New OMV user here!

Introduction:

I have been using Plex for 10+ years on Linux and Windows server hosts.

Recently my 12TB Windows 10 "server" filled up, dropped a drive out of the RAID 5 on an LSI 9260-8i AND had a Windows melt down!

I just brought up a OMV server with 4 - NOB (New Open Box) 12TB Hitachi drives on a LSI 9361-8i in RAID 5. CacheVault came on the 9361 but a battery is still in the mail.

I wasted some money along the way:

1) Thought 12Gb/s Hitachi drives would work with spare LSI 9260 controller (6Gb/s)

2) Bought a used LSI 9440-8i only to discover it is only a HBA and not really a RAID card.

3) Bought a couple Startech 5 bay hot swap SAS cages... Found out full height drive don't fit!

4) Bought a second Startech "TRAYLESS" 5 bay SAS cage to match my previous cage that I used for the Windows Plex host.

5) LSI 9631-8i uses a different cable connectors than LSI 9260-8i.

But I now have a functioning OMV server / Plex server that I am very impressed with! I know I could have used a software RAID instead of the hardware RAID but I have been using hardware RAIDs for 20+ years and LOVE the speed!!! Also OMV looked easier than FreeNAS and ZFS.

I have moved the 5 x 3TB RAID to my Workstation and I am starting to move all my files and media over to the new OMV server. After I have moved my file store I will put this old RAID in the new OMV server to backup important files.

I would like to setup a 10Gb/s link between my main WS and my new OMS in addition to their existing 1Gb/s links to the rest of my network. I actually have 2 reasons I would like to do this:

1) Speed.

2) I am now spending my days as a Software Engineer at home VPN'ing into the office. Compile times are less than 1/4 of what they are on my dog of an office WS. I would like to have access to my music / Plex on my home workstation WHILE I am VPN'd into the office.

Yes, I know the best way to accomplish #2 is to run my Dev (Visual Studio) environment in a virtual but I loose the amazing compile times of my amazing PCIe 4.0x4 NVMe when in the virtual.

Questions:

1) I assume this can be done by adding 10Gb/s nics to my WS and OMV server with a crossover cable between the two then giving them static IP's and force the routes via entries in the Hosts files?

2) Which cheap ebay nics Should I buy and which should I avoid? HP? Broadcom?

ebay broadcom 10Gb/s nic

ebay HP 10Gb/s nic

Other????

3) For 10Gb/s nics is SFP and SFP+ the same thing?

4) What do I need for a 10Gb/s crossover cable? I assume I can use just a special copper crossover cable and not have to buy transceivers?

5) Is there anything else I should consider, I am not thinking about, or I am just plain wrong about?

Great site! Great OS! Thank you! -Michael

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von MikeInOr () aus folgendem Grund: spelling

• MikeInOr

Hat den Titel des Themas von „10GB/s direct connect between OMV and Windows Workstation“ zu „10Gb/s direct connect between OMV and Windows Workstation?“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I assume this can be done by adding 10Gb/s nics to my WS and OMV server with a crossover cable between the two then giving them static IP's and force the routes via entries in the Hosts files?

Yes.

Which cheap ebay nics Should I buy and which should I avoid? HP? Broadcom?

I have mellanox v2 adapters and they are very good. Intel is good. HP is too generic to say if you should avoid since they rebadge their adapters. Most older 10G cards on ebay are going to work well. It is the bleeding edge new ones (like aquantia-based) that you would probably have issues with.

For 10Gb/s nics is SFP and SFP+ the same thing?

No. Basically, SFP is 1 GB and SFP+ is 10G.

hat do I need for a 10Gb/s crossover cable?

10G cables don't switch conductors. So, there is no crossover cable.

I assume I can use just a special copper crossover cable and not have to buy transceivers?

I use the pre-made cheap cables from amazon. Like these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is there anything else I should consider, I am not thinking about, or I am just plain wrong about?

I would consider a 10G switch unless you are never going to add other systems to the "network"

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!