Advice on reducing read disk spins by torrent client seeding

• Hello mates,

My NAS is running fine but recently I noticed that torrent seeding makes one of my disk stay spinning all the time, sometimes for a single torrent that takes days to complete. Obviously the torrent client need to read the data on the disk but I wonder if I can reduce the disk spins somehow, allowing the client to cache the torrent to memory or the SSD letting the HDD turn off.

My setup is a Ryzen 3 PRO 2100GE with 8gb ECC, a 256gb SSD for OMV, a 10TB EXT4 HDD for the torrents and a 4TB EXT4 one for lancache and whatnots. Unfortunately, due to the size of my torrent I can't use the SSD to store my torrents.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see four possibilities, excluding combinations:

1. Add more RAM. The more the better.

2. Buy a bigger SSD.

3. Hire a cloud torrent box. I use Put.io.

4. Schedule when you seed. Only seed when you are using the nas for other stuff and the drive is spinning anyway.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• I see four possibilities, excluding combinations:

1. Add more RAM. The more the better.

2. Buy a bigger SSD.

3. Hire a cloud torrent box. I use Put.io.

4. Schedule when you seed. Only seed when you are using the nas for other stuff and the drive is spinning anyway.

Thanks for the feedback Adoby.

Option 3 kind of defeat the purpose of my NAS build and 4 brings seedtime down a lot. Option 2 it's also unfeasible due to the size of my torrent pool.

That being said, maybe I could optimize my current SSD and memory to help reduce reads. I had the memory at 20% usage at most and SSD at 7% usage, I tweaked deluge to use 2GB in cache, still don't see any actual disk read decrease or disk spin.

I guess the best solution to my problem would be to automate some way to have a mirror (maybe soft symlink) of the files in the SSD, copy the actual files from HDD to the SSD when seeding began, seed for the time needed from the SSD, then when finished erase the actual file from the SSD keeping only the mirror.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!