Update Virtualbox via command line

• Hello,

unfortunately there's something missing in the Virtualbox-Installation-Guide under OMV v5.

The process of updating Virtualbox.

I always got the error of still running VBoxSVC daemon therefore I couldn't update Virtualbox.

1. Stop your VM's

2. stop Virtualbox-services under CLI:

Code
    sudo systemctl stop vboxweb-service
    sudo systemctl stop vboxdrv
    sudo systemctl stop vboxautostart-service

3. Stop VBoxVSC daemon with:

Code
    sudo killall VBoxSVC

4. find and kill other process

Code
    ps -A | grep VB
    sudo kill <pid>

5. Update Virtualbox. I've downloaded the VB-package (.deb) and installed it via CLI

Code
    dpkg -i virtualbox-6.1_6.1.x-xxx.deb

With these steps I was able to update Virtualbox

And to update the extension pack just follow the guide in the Guide-section by downloading

Code
    cd ~/
    wget "link to the latest extension pack" (like today https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.10/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.10.vbox-extpack)

and with the command --replace you can update EP

sudo VBoxManage extpack install --replace Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.10.vbox-extpack 

after that I're rebooted my OMV-server and everything was up-to-date

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Huberer ()

• I've updated the above how-to (point no. 2 and 4) because today I couldn't update to the latest Virtualbox. By killing all the processes related to VB I was able to update again (v6.1.12).

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Huberer ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!