Best option for using a Windows VM inside OMV

• Hi There,

First of all that you all for this impressive release of OMV, besides of some of the missing plugins, i think this is one of the best releases of OMV.

The reason for whati'm posting is because i have a need for installing a Virtual machine in Windows, for now i have a solution using another pc and remote access to it, but what i'd like to have is to run it inside the OMV.

I'm reading some posting regarding using proxmox and run the OMV inside, but that will obbligate me to reconfigure all my OMV, and i like very much the way it is right now.

I'm trying cockpit and works great with linux machines, but there is no option for running Windows.

Is there any option to accomplish this, using only the OMV?

Thanks all. Great Work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

there is no option for running Windows

I don't know why the list doesn't have Windows in the list but cockpit configures kvm which can run Windows. Proxmox uses kvm as well and I am running a Windows VM on it. There is a thread on installing Virtualbox on OMV 5.x if you can't get that to work.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for your support,

Is there any tutorial that we can use on how to use proxmox and put a windows vm on it? I belive this is inside of OMV right?

Thank you once again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any tutorial that we can use on how to use proxmox and put a windows vm on it? I belive this is inside of OMV right?

I'm sure there are many guides out there about Windows on Proxmox because OMV isn't involved in that setup. If you run proxmox, OMV would also have to be a VM.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Offizieller Beitrag

No option to run windows.

You used to be able to. While I don't think the OS really makes a difference, I would follow this github issue - https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/issues/14904

I can't use Proxmox due to high IO delay's.

That doesn't make sense. Proxmox is just kvm. cockpit is kvm. What is causing the high IO?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!