Maintaining Shared folders is slow or does not work at all

• When I go the Shared Folder section to maintain the shared folders (i.e. create, change, delete), it takes forever to load the list of shares I have created. Although I have a lot of them (126), it looks like the time it takes to load the list seemed to be increasing rapidly.

SInce the last few days the list of shares does not show up anymore. I only receive messages like 'an error has occurred' and 'communication failure'. So not really a satisfying answer.

As a result of that (at least it appears to me as being a result of that) editing the list of Rsync tasks (local only, I don't use remotes), SMB/CIFS shares etc, (where-ever a shared folder is needed) the dropdownboxes are not being populated from the shared folders but only the errormessage 'communication failure' is displayed.

I have been running OMV (first 4, later 5 as a sole system on USB and now 5 as a VM under Proxmox) for some years now, but since a few months the shared folder issue started.

When I started using OMV5 under Proxmox there was no issue although I had the same number of shared folders.

Is there a solution for this so that I can really work with OMV5 again?

Some more background.

- I run Docker and Portainer (under OMV4 I only ran Docker) and the docker installation path is not on the OMV5-boot-disk but from the start on a separate directory on an other disk (using absolute path). All dockers installed are also using absolute paths to locations not on the OMV5 boot-disk. (installed via templates and previously via docker-compose v2)

- The host PC on which Proxmox runs has several USB-disks attached, which are managed via the OMV5-VM under LVM2 (ext4) as they were created in the past under the OMV4 physical machine.

As Proxmox is not really able to mount LVM2-logical volumes / filesystems from scratch, I have left this within the OMV5-VM. I do not yet want to go through the large effort of copying (syncing) the contents of the logical volumes to ext4 filesystems, format the disks to not contain lvm2 filesystems anymore and then sync them back to be able to mount them in Proxmox.

Is there anyone who can help me solving the problem with the shared folders?

Thanks in advance for your support.

• Yes I could reorganize / lower the number of shares so that they are on a higher level in the directorytrees but that means that I cannot use the webgui to arrange (different) access + acls on the lower (sub-directory levels).:| I prefer to use the WebGUI over the CLI for that. Also more shares mean that you can accommodate finetuned shares over SMB / NFS etc for the users in my family.

Apart from that the problem did not occur in the past when I had the same number of shares. So my question is (regardless of the number of shares) what is causing this, and how can I still make it work.:/

If OMV5 is allowing only a limited number of shared folders, that's in fact OK, but I have not read this somewhere, so I would guess that I could use this facility even if I would create many more shares. (Which I do not intend to do. ;))

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume it is slow because OMV5 now use SALT to perform and check configurations.

One common work-around is to not apply changes at once, but to do several changes before applying them. It will not be faster to apply a change this way, but you will do it less often. I am not sure if this is something you could do...

But frankly, I don't think OMV5 is very suitable to your strange way of working.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!