Initial Install from either USB or CD - blank screen after selecting "install"

• Thought I'd try an old HP Pavilion Mobo (ABN-LA Rev 2). AMD Athlon & 3GB memory. Anyway after the initial boot from install media... install returns a blank screen. I let it sit for 15 minutes. Same thing happens with either usb or cd install media. Any experience with this motherboard here? The "advanced" button on the install screen did find all the hardware, its just when install starts.... it never continues... just a blank screen. Both the usb and cd media have worked fine to install on my Biostar mobo.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thought I'd try an old HP Pavilion Mobo (ABN-LA Rev 2). AMD Athlon & 3GB memory. Anyway after the initial boot from install media... install returns a blank screen. I let it sit for 15 minutes. Same thing happens with either usb or cd install media. Any experience with this motherboard here? The "advanced" button on the install screen did find all the hardware, its just when install starts.... it never continues... just a blank screen. Both the usb and cd media have worked fine to install on my Biostar mobo.

First thought is the resolution it is trying to detect is out of range for the display? You can try to edit the boot line to a resolution you can use..

Boot OMV, and on the Install line hit the "TAB" button on your keyboard. At the bottom, you'll see the boot parameters. Part of that says "vga=788". Use the chart below to change the "788" and see if you can get a usable resolution. Hit enter after any change to boot and see if it works. If it doesn't, reboot and try another resolution.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/…to-set-screen-resolution/

If that doesn't work, I'd do a Debian mini install, and then install OMV on top of that. Pretty sure there are plenty of threads here on that procedure.

• Thanks, I'll try the resolution change. FWIW I did try a Debian install and the same thing happened when I chose either "graphical install" or just "install" after the Debian USB booted.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks, I'll try the resolution change. FWIW I did try a Debian install and the same thing happened when I chose either "graphical install" or just "install" after the Debian USB booted.

i just thought of something.. there are like a gazillion Athlon processors (and you didn't give an exact model) .. are you sure this one is a 64 bit?. The fact both the omv and Debian installer failed is interesting.

Maybe try doing a 32bit Debian mini install, then omv on that. Personally I think 32bit is useless and would just junk it... But that may also be the issue

• Could be. I didn't think of 32 bit... but maybe this is just old enough to qualify. BTW, I did get past the resolution problem, but then got a "noapic" error. I think that was it anyway. Tried to modify the boot script to compensate per the instructions on the error, but then gave up on the mobo. I think maybe it should be officially retired. I have a Biostar MCP6P M2+ up and running. I haven't been able to get it to "sleep" or "wake" … which is why I was trying the HP. I'll start another thread for the Biostar if I can't figure out the sleep or standby. the thing is, the on-board graphics heat sync on the Biostar gets so hot I think its gonna blow! With a lot of air flow it definitely cools down, but then the rig is too loud for a nas in my office. I've tried disabling the on-board GPU, but it still gets hot.

As you can probably tell, I'm learning as I go here. Linux has become my new hobbie (in recent retirement).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!