Switching from OMV 4 to OMV 5, moving configuration.

• I have a Pi running OMV 4 with a USB enclosure with 2 drives, each with their own file system. I am running SMB with drive shares for each.

I am also using rsnapshot.

I would just like to leave the old SD card alone and create a new SD card with the current version of OMV 5 and export the OMV 4 configuration into the OMV 5 one.

Or some how import the existing drives and file systems into the new OMV 5 SD card.

I don't want to lose any data on my drives if I can avoid it, just mount them and share them the same way they exist on OMV 4.

I tried to copy the /etc/fstab and I can mount the drives and I see them under the file systems, but when I try and create shared folders, I don't see anything in the device drop down.

Is it possible to export my configuration from OVM 4 and import it into OMV 5?

It seems like the only way is to start over and format the drives and I would like to not do that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jerry

• Is it possible to export my configuration from OVM 4 and import it into OMV 5?

No, this is not possible. You have to document the settings by another way.

Or some how import the existing drives and file systems into the new OMV 5 SD card.

This is of course possible. Simply mount it. It is not necessary to format the drives when you switch to a newer OMV version.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I think this was mostly my problem:

Problem #2: I mounted the drive using the command line or GUI tool and I can't pick that drive in the shared folder device dropdown.

Solution #2: Never mount a drive with anything other than the OMV web interface. This creates the necessary database entries to populate the device dropdown.

I had copied the block in /etc/fstab that has the markers # >>> [openmediavault] and I thought I was okay, but obviously not.

The other thing that confused me with the above statements is the GUI, but I guess maybe some people have some kind of GUI.

Things look the same in the OMV web interface, but they aren't. It was as easy as selecting the file system and clicking the Unmount button and applying the changes and then clicking the Mount button and applying the changes.

I still need to finish doing, the other settings, but that was my road block.

Thanks for your help!

• Solution #2: Never mount a drive with anything other than the OMV web interface.

You should be careful if you manually change some of the OMV configuration files (And always create a backup copy before). E.g. use the WebUI for mounting drives because only then the change is stored in the OMV´s configuration database config.xml file. Another example ist smb.conf. Any manual change is overwritten with the next modification of the SMB/CIFS setting by the WebUI. Therefore please use the "extra options" fields which exist in many configuration tabs and plugins, if you want to do specific modifications.

One exeption of this general rule is /etc/fstab. There the area is marked, which is written by OMV and which may be changed manually.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!