Fresh OMV 5 install reboots regularly following NFS mounting with Ubuntu clients

• After running OMV4 since years, it was time for me to migrate to OMV5 and implement Docker for Plex, Jdownloader and Duplicati.

I started with an upgrade from OMV4 to OMV5, but I was facing many unstabilities, so I did a fresh install last week end.

My configuration is the following: 1 system disk + 1 RAID5 volume (4 disks 2TB). I've installed Docker with the 3 containers for Plex, duplicati, jdownloader. I'm using the plugins backup and RemoteMount (NFS mount of Synology array to store rsnapshot images of my RAID5 volume).

I'm using extensively NFS shares with my RAID5 volume; they are mounted by Ubuntu 18.04 clients on my internal network.

I emphasize that (except Docker) I had exactly the same configuration with OMV4 and it was very stable.

Since I moved to OMV5, my NAS reboots regularly (2-3 times a day) and I've found out that it happens when my Ubuntu clients resumes from hybernate or restart; they are mounting the NFS shares and it causes the NAS to reboot.

1/ Looking at the syslog, I've found out that there is an error message caused by blkmapd service, juste when my ubuntu clients tries to mount the NFS shares:

Code
    Jul 25 21:01:56 Gemenos blkmapd[327]: open pipe file /run/rpc_pipefs/nfs/blocklayout failed: No such file or directory

then it seems there are tentative to recover the system and finally system reboots. You have the syslog extract with few comments in file syslog20200725.txt.

2/ I decided to get rid of blkmapd service (the thread OMV4->5 residue cleanup blkmapd[275]: open pipe file /run/rpc_pipefs/nfs/blocklayout relates about this issue and seems to say that this service is not required).

Since then, I do not get any error message in the syslog, my system just reboots few minutes after my ubuntu client tries to mount (unsuccessfully) the NFS shares.

You will find the syslog with my comments in file syslog20200726.txt.

Honestly, I'm completely stuck as I don't find any error or issue in the logs.

I wish someone can guide shortly to identify the root cause of this issue, as I need to rely my NAS for all my personal data.

Thx in advance for your support.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you see I moved your post to this thread - nfs causes server to reboot after upgrade

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecaaron,

goodness I did not see?( thx for moving it, I was not sure what was the best place for it...

is that possible for you to move also my message above with attachments and delete this thread?

BTW, do you have any idea about this issue? I have no clue how to investigate further as logs look clean, and I'm really concerned about the reliability of my NAS now.=O

OMV5 64bits - Intel i5-7400

4 * 2TB Hdd Raid 5 + 1 SSD 128Go

• Offizieller Beitrag

is that possible for you to move also my message above with attachments and delete this thread?

If I moved the message, it would show up at the end of the other messages. You should be able to attach the attachments to your original message.

do you have any idea about this issue? I have no clue how to investigate further as logs look clean, and I'm really concerned about the reliability of my NAS now.

I really don't. I have no idea how nfs could make a nas reboot. It doesn't make sense to me. I use nfs A LOT and have never seen anything like this.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I really don't. I have no idea how nfs could make a nas reboot. It doesn't make sense to me. I use nfs A LOT and have never seen anything like this.

I've been scratching my head over that for the past couple of weeks. I thought my OSMC box was somehow to blame until I mapped some OMV NFS shares to my windows 10 box. I found I could also make the OMV NAS crash just my browsing the shares. I found the solution here - OMV spontaneous reboots

Reverting to the 5.5.0-0 kernel fixes the problem. Looks like the issue is with 5.6.0.0.

• zevleu

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!