Salvaging old NVR

• So I found an old NVR from few years back with 2 bays in a nice, compact casing. I was thinking of salvaging it and change it as a compact NAS instead if possible, the case and 2 bays drive are just too good to be thrown away.

Upon inspection, I found out the board is GIGABYTE GC-SCM25T, looks like it's proprietary. The 2 drive bays connect with sata, with power connectors built in into the board. I thought of flashing the motherboard with omv but realize it's not as easy as its sound. So I thought of just throwing away the board and somehow fit a omv loaded sbc inside, but how do I connect the 2 bays (sata) and what to do for power?

So I thought I'll post it here if anyone else had any idea what to do to make use of this awesome case.

gotras7.jpg

zCfvxEF.jpg

nKlRl1O.jpg

p1oSL5G.jpg

• What's the make/model of that? Does the mobo have a PCIe header?

I'm interested in something like that to gut and put 4 hdds plus a small PSU in it. With a little love from a rotary tool, it looks like it would be a great enclosure.

Looks nice though, cool little box. Although with just 2 drives, I'm not sure flashing the board would be anything but a lesson of utilities.

• What's the make/model of that? Does the mobo have a PCIe header?

I'm interested in something like that to gut and put 4 hdds plus a small PSU in it. With a little love from a rotary tool, it looks like it would be a great enclosure.

Looks nice though, cool little box. Although with just 2 drives, I'm not sure flashing the board would be anything but a lesson of utilities.

it was under a different brand here in my country, but I found this documentation and I think it's identical spec. no pcie header. for my home need, 2 bays are plenty, I just need to figure out how to stuff the sbc board and psu. I think I'll need some psu, sbc (that can take SATA directly), some cable routing love, and it'll look great.

• Could you replace the mobo with a Raspberry PI and SATA hat or similar? Which would give USB 3 for further drive expansion.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!