Posts by johnvick

The SATA cards - I have two from Aliexpress, a 2 port and a 4 port - they look very similar to the one in your link but I can't confirm if the hardware is the same - both work fine with OMV.

All I have done to modify the files concerned is to add my email address and add Telegram token, no drastic changes.

This is what I have:

So looks like I have the correct version but not working for me.

luckyzor

Trying your script I get this:

Please update your config file to the latest version. The current file is not compatible with this script!

/bin/python3: No module named markdown

I got the latest zip from Github.

apt install python-markdown does not work but

apt install python3-markdown does, but still an error message minus the python bit.

The inbuilt script can be configured from the SnapRAID plugin. I modified my one slightly as doing 100% scrub takes a long time, longer than my device is powered up daily.

You'll lose the parity info but gain disk space, assuming the parity drive was formatted in standard ext4 manner first time. You can then recreate the parity but you're taking a risk if a data disk fails during parity recreation, unless the data is backed up elsewhere?

Not sure what the answer to that question is but this is from the SnapRAID manual:

In Linux, to get more space for the parity, it's recommended to format the parity file-system with the -m 0 -T largefile4 options. Like:

Code
    mkfs.ext4 -m 0 -T largefile4 DEVICE

On a 8 TB disk you can save about 400 GB. This is also expected to be as fast as the default, if not faster.

I used to have an XU4 and although never tried OMV on it it had a problem with large file transfers. There was a lot of discussion in the Odroid forum about this so check this if thinking of buying. It is an old device now. What about:

https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…2112000027282394967%21sea

I have had two similar and both very reliable running Ubuntu server. OMV installed and ran but I didn't use it for long as I built a mini ITX for OMV.

I have a Seagate desktop 4TB USB drive and the SMART tests work but with 5TB USB drives they don't - any way to get this to work?

I get this when I try to run short test grom the GUI:

smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [x86_64-linux-5.15.35-3-pve] (local build)

Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, http://www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported field in scsi command

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

END OF LINE

Migration to mergerFS from several separate data containing drives of unequal capacity is easy (as is going the other way), as is adding Snapraid into the equation for traditional raid 5/6 like data integrity (reluctant to use the word backup here, but Snapraid bills itself as a backup solution). But the rsync solution is equally valid and both better than traditional raid - for the home user that is.