Mounted BorgBackup Repos with mangled archive name on Windows using Samba

• Hello everyone!

BorgBackup is configured and does its job without any problems. But I would like someone to help me with one little thing.

In the BorgBackup plugin, when adding an archive, we give it the Name/Prefix and other configuration parameters. The plugin then generates a job in /var/lib/openmediavault/borgbackup/daily.d/borgbackup* where the current time is added to the prefix with -{now}, giving each newly created archive a unique name.

Example: backup-2020-09-12T03:33:03

This is all well designed, but on Windows the file must not have the character ":" in its name, so when I Mount this Repo on Windows via Samba it comes up with a mangling of the archive name. The archive now gets its name on Windows via Samba: BQZUVF~T. Everything works, but it is difficult to recognize the name of the archive.

Is there any way to simply avoid this mangling archive names? Is it possible to easily define a new way of creating a archive name?

If you want to suggest me to set "mangled names = yes" in the Samba configuration, that's not the solution for me, because then I can't access the rest of the archive.

Thanks in advance to everyone for the advice.

• Is there any way to simply avoid this mangling archive names?

I will look into it but {now} is a borgbackup function. So, I will probably have to write my own code to replace it.

omv 5.5.17-3 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Changed in 5.1.4. It will look like the following now: Archive name: datetest-18-Sep-2020_06-03-56

• What else to say but THANK YOU for the quick response.

This proposed change suits me, although I would suggest using format datetest-2020-09-18_06-03-56 instead of datetest-18-Sep-2020_06-03-56 for easier sorting by name when there are many archives in Repo.

Code
    -{now:%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S}

And once again, Thank you very much!

• his proposed change suits me, although I would suggest using format datetest-2020-09-18_06-03-56 instead of datetest-18-Sep-2020_06-03-56 for easier sorting by name when there are many archives in Repo.

Done. 5.1.5 in the repo.

• GrimDeWitt

Added the Label resolved

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!