OMV half dead after remote mount turned off

• Offizieller Beitrag

How did your "turn off" the remote mount? If you turn off the remote server, there isn't anything the plugin can do. Linux doesn't like that you turned off the remote mount. If you need to be able to turn off the remote server, you should look into autofs (no, there is no plugin for that).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• How did your "turn off" the remote mount? If you turn off the remote server, there isn't anything the plugin can do. Linux doesn't like that you turned off the remote mount. If you need to be able to turn off the remote server, you should look into autofs (no, there is no plugin for that).

So the remote mount is on a ubutnu server and I unmounted it there, ejected USB.

Is this the proper "turn off"?

I think the main issue is that OMV does not say and offer any information about it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this the proper "turn off"?

Nope. You yanked the mount out from under the OMV mount.

I think the main issue is that OMV does not say and offer any information about it

And how would you propse OMV would tell you about it? It has a failed mount now and doesn't know why. OMV is not designed to have mount removed without it removing them first.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• ryecoaaron

I tried to start the remote mount again on the ubutnu server and it did not remove errors.

Then tried removing smb share, shared folder and the remote mount and still no love

I seem blocked by this error "Could not fetch a matching mount point from the provided fsname: '/srv/05f0ef79-519c-499e-b152-06feafe3f207'."

I see this :

root@pi-nas:~# grep -r 05f0ef79-519c-499e-b152-06feafe3f207 /etc/

/etc/openmediavault/config.xml: <command>/usr/sbin/fixperms.sh /srv/05f0ef79-519c-499e-b152-06feafe3f207/ 2777 666</command>

/etc/openmediavault/config.xml: <command>rsync -zavh /srv/05f0ef79-519c-499e-b152-06feafe3f207/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NEW/</command>

/etc/openmediavault/config.xml: <fsname>05f0ef79-519c-499e-b152-06feafe3f207</fsname>

/etc/openmediavault/config.xml: <dir>/srv/05f0ef79-519c-499e-b152-06feafe3f207</dir>

/etc/openmediavault/config.xml: <uuid>05f0ef79-519c-499e-b152-06feafe3f207</uuid>

/etc/collectd/collectd.conf.d/df.conf: MountPoint "/srv/05f0ef79-519c-499e-b152-06feafe3f207"

/etc/fstab.bak://yuriw-nuc.wawona.lan/NUC /srv/05f0ef79-519c-499e-b152-06feafe3f207 cifs _netdev,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,nofail,credentials=/root/.cifscredentials-56f79230-6527-4a72-a478-5210e41f96b0 0 0

IIRC we are saying that most configuration issues are to be taken care of by the OMV GUI.

I am at lost here how to fix this :( Also I think disconnecting an USB drive is pretty much usual use case.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried to start the remote mount again on the ubutnu server and it did not remove errors.

That doesn't fix the mount point on the OMV side. You either need to remount or reboot.

Then tried removing smb share, shared folder and the remote mount and still no love

You need to remove it when the mount point is actually working.

IIRC we are saying that most configuration issues are to be taken care of by the OMV GUI.

True. The remotemount plugin is not omv and it tries to make OMV use a remote mount like a local disk. It does cause issues and is delicate.

I am at lost here how to fix this

Because it is in a bad state, you may need to remove the entry from the mntent section of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml.

Also I think disconnecting an USB drive is pretty much usual use case.

Unless you are using the usbbackup plugin, a usb drive is not treated any different than a sata drive. So, you should not be disconnecting it. You may disagree but that is how OMV is designed.

• ryecoaaron

Well I removed all refs from /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and FS looks ok now.

The only leftovers, I get email from monitoring like after reboot:

Service: rrdcached

Event: Does not exist

Description: process is not running

Service: collectd

Description: process is not running

How to clean up/reset those ?

Unless you are using the usbbackup plugin, a usb drive is not treated any different than a sata drive. So, you should not be disconnecting it. You may disagree but that is how OMV is designed.

Is the usbbackup plugin available (I read somewhere that it's not compatible with the latest OMV)?

So in case if a remote mounted drive failed, users will have to have this "fun" cleaning up the system?

Thx

• Offizieller Beitrag

How to clean up/reset those ?

Not sure. I have monitoring disabled on all of my OMV systems (mostly arm devices). Maybe
    omv-salt deploy run collectd rrdcached

Is the usbbackup plugin available (I read somewhere that it's not compatible with the latest OMV)?

You must have read something old. it is available for OMV 5.x

So in case if a remote mounted drive failed, users will have to have this "fun" cleaning up the system?

And you can't fix the failed drive? OMV doesn't handle failed drives that aren't replaced very well. Ideally, you could delete the remote mount from the remotemount plugin but it isn't all controlled by the plugin. As I mentioned previously, if you must a remote mount and it isn't reliable or up all the time, look into autofs.

• ryecoaaron

One event is still stubborn:

Service: proftpd

It's OK I disabled process notifications for now.

Just to make sure - the usbbackup plugin (openmediavault-usbbackup 5.0.5-1) would help me avoid this snafu ?

Thanks for your support !

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's OK I disabled process notifications for now.

Try enabling ftp and then disabling it.

Just to make sure - the usbbackup plugin (openmediavault-usbbackup 5.0.5-1) would help me avoid this snafu ?

SInce I don't know what you are doing with the usb hard drive, I can't answer that.

• You said

"Unless you are using the usbbackup plugin, a usb drive is not treated any different than a sata drive. So, you should not be disconnecting it. You may disagree but that is how OMV is designed."

So IIUYC the usbbackup plugin could help to avoid such a snafu I was having.

Is it not the case ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

"Unless you are using the usbbackup plugin, a usb drive is not treated any different than a sata drive. So, you should not be disconnecting it. You may disagree but that is how OMV is designed."

So IIUYC the usbbackup plugin could help to avoid such a snafu I was having.

Is it not the case ?

Yes, I said that. The usbbackup plugin is meant to backup a usb drive when plugged in. It is unmounted when disconnected. SO, a usb drive used with that plugin is not treated the same. Since I don't know what your use case, I can't tell you if this would satisfy your requirements. If I do connect a usb drive to an OMV system (rare since it is a NAS), I mount it from the command line.

• Not sure. I have monitoring disabled on all of my OMV systems (mostly arm devices). Maybe
    omv-salt deploy run collectd rrdcached

ryecoaaron

Hello

I see notifications wearings again on a newly installed OMV

Specifically

Service: proftpd

Event: Exists

Description: process is running with pid 3586

and

Service: rrdcached

Event: Exists

Description: process is running with pid 954

Tried [tt]omv-salt deploy run collectd rrdcached[/tt and ftp on/off

Do you have any suggestions?

I can disable notifications, but it seems like a minor bug not sure where.

Thx

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!