Docker permissions and observations

• I ran into information from many places about how to install docker and portainer in omv for use.

At least two instances I ran into told me I could "share" the docker folder via smb or nfs so I could see and modify the files via gui if need be.

Well, save yourself the headaches and manage it all via ssh if you can.

I specified my docker directory, installed docker, then portainer then could not get pihole to just start without issue. It kept complaining about various permissions (*.log permission denied, sudoers.so blah blah, etc.). It was a nightmare.

I uninstalled portainer and docker and then deleted the original shared folder I created for docker.

Then I specified a new directory for my docker files under the docker storage area and let docker create it for me. Then I installed portainer and proceeded to install pihole on the first try with no issues.

I think it should be noted that it would be better to just not share your docker folder via smb/nfs like some other sources I ran into suggested.

Also, I didn't need to change port 80 on omv or pihole. I am using my ddwrt router for my dhcp server even with pihole active. I created a macvlan with the proper IPv4 information and my pihole responds on its own IP different from my omv. So typing in omv/ in my browser takes me to the omv web gui on port 80 and typing in pihole/ takes me to my pihole web gui on port 80 as well.

This is my first go-ahead with docker so I am glad I was able to figure it out to this point.

• I don't know where you got the idea that it is a good idea to share the Docker Storage directory. Just don't do it. And there really isn't any need for a user to modify anything in that directory anyway.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• There are reasons why everything in that folder is owned by root and not readable or writable by others.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!