RPI 4 8 gig and OWC Mercury Pro RAID enclosure questions or Help

• Hello,

I have an unused RPI 4 8 gig SBC and a OWC Mercury Pro 4 disk Raid Enclosure and would like to use Openmediavault to set it up as a NAS. The raid enclosure does raid 5 itself but I’m using RPI and USB 3 to connect it. Will OMV work for user functions and plugins since it’s usb? All it will see is a single 2.5 gig HD. I will be using another separate HD to run the OS and OMV.

As noted only concerned about user management and such not drive control. I’m trying to cheaply replace my old Netgear ReadyNas with the setup.

Please provide input or suggestions, if it won’t work at all please let me know, don’t want to burn brain cells trying to hack it. OMV will run on top of Debian with no GUI installed.

Thanks,

Jim

• The OWC Softraid feature is only available for MAC and Windows. Therefore you have to test by yourself if a RAID setup can be used with OMV. You can create a Raid setup in Windows and then test if the disks are seen as one big drive in OMV and if it can be formatted with a LINUX file system like EXT4 in OMV. Nevertheless I am not sure if this is a good approach.

It is absolutely not recommended to use NTFS for regular data drives in OMV. NTFS support is only intended to copy data from external NTFS drives to the NAS.

If the disks are seen as separate drives you can e.g. use the mergerfs /snapraid plugin to pool the drives.

Just my five cents.

OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
    ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!