Installation of zfs mirrored pool (zfs Raid1)

• Hi

I want to install OVM on a newly build home server and I would like redundancy of the installation itself - preferably using zfs, like you can do in FreeNAS and ProxMox.

Therefore I'm wondering if it's possible to do the installation on two ssd's in a mirrored zfs pool?

And in case it's possible, how do I do it?

If not possible, what are my alternatives?

I've searched quite a bit around for this but haven't been able to find anything so I really hope you can help me.

• Therefore I'm wondering if it's possible to do the installation on two ssd's in a mirrored zfs pool?

As I know this is not possible. It is possible to use ZFS for the data pool but not for the OMV installation itself.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I found an older thread here in the forum where ryecoaaron has suggested to install debian from the netinst iso first with a mirrored boot device scheme then install OMV on top.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think Debian supports a zfs install yet. Seems like overkill for the OS. If you put the OS on an decent SSD, the risk of failure is much lower due to no spinning parts.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess there is way - https://openzfs.github.io/open…er%20Root%20on%20ZFS.html. I need to look if the install script would support this zfs setup (it should). Otherwise, you would have to install OMV by hand after the Debian install.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Thanks for your prompt replies.

I guess installing OVM on top of Debian could work. Can I use both server and desktop Debian for this?

I'm asking because - while rather unconventional - installing a desktop environment would solve another challenge I have been struggling with. See, the server will be the only computer in the house with a BR-drive and I'm planning to rip a rather large collection of DVDs and BRs. I have been looking into installing MakeMKV and Handbrake in Docker containers and access them via WebUI and while it definitely doable, installing them as regular application and access them though VNC or similar would probably be easier - not least because I don't have any experience with docker yet.

My main gripe with this approach is my own vanity as running a server with a desktop environment seems a little unprofessional - dare I call it "newbe"-ish?

What are your thoughts. Any other approaches I haven't thought of?

• Offizieller Beitrag

an I use both server and desktop Debian for this?

No. Do not use any desktop environment.

My main gripe with this approach is my own vanity as running a server with a desktop environment seems a little unprofessional - dare I call it "newbe"-ish?

What are your thoughts. Any other approaches I haven't thought of?

I run makemkv on a headless server. I login to it via ssh with x-forwarding enabled and just run makemkv. Works great. No need for a desktop environment on it.

• Okay, I never heard about x-forwarding so I'll go educate myself on that matter...

One question though, with x-forwarding are you able to use a GUI or only CLI? I wouldn't prefer to run MakeKMV and Handblake in CLI mode.

EDIT: 1½ minut googling and I had the answer to that question. What I would like to know though, is whether you are running MakeMKV in a container or just as a regular app?

Thanks a lot.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von lotsofbytes ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

What I would like to know though, is whether you are running MakeMKV in a container or just as a regular app?

regular app. I have a script that builds and installs makemkv as well - https://github.com/ryecoaaron/…lob/main/build_makemkv.sh

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!