Dual On-board intel i210 low performance

• Hello,

I installed OMV 5.X on the ASRock X570D4U motherboard (the one without 10 GbE NICS). It has a dual NIC INTEL i210 ethernet controller.

Everything works out-of-the-box. But my network speed is slow, transferring a file has a speed around 25 MB/s - 35 MB/s. I tested directly between a laptop and the motherboard via a cross-cable, same issue occurs.

If I ping (also via cross-cable), then I get a response around 1.5ms - 2.5ms.

I use only one port, so aggregation is not configured. The box has static IP address set.

Via ethtool I see that the connection speed is set to 1000 Mb/s.

It is a plain installation, not yet plug-ins activated.

I installed Windows on the same motherboard, then I see a response of <= 1ms. Also the file transfer is around 80-90 MB/s.

Can someone give me some pointers to look for?

Thanks

• Hi,

What I already checked:

iPerf gives me a network speed between 320 Mbps and 350 Mbps. I compiled the latest Linux drivers from Intel for the igb drivers, but no luck. Thankfully with some good guide here.

I stumbled on a thread for another NAS system, which says there is a bug in the BIOS/Firmware of the Asrock X570D4U regarding the network performance. Read the post dated on 11/26/2020 in topic ASRock Rack X570D4U - Performance.

I will wait on a new BIOS/Firmware, in the meantime I ordered a PCIe network card based on the intel i350.

• Hi

with 10gig nics, several items are very important:

- jumboframes must be set to as high as possible in your entire network: nic and switch. size e.g.: 9k

. This item alone, can double to tripple your speed.

- offloading could help.

- Can you describe how you test your speed: is the nic the problem, or the HDD/OS combination after it?

• The OP isn't using 10G nics and I agree, jumbo frames aren't needed for 10G. I don't use jumbo frames at home or work. You would have to be using a very old CPU to be the bottleneck here.

In this case, it is a relatively new board and the Linux drivers are probably not perfect yet.

omv 5.5.23 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for your input.

I believe there's a bug in the BIOS/Firmware for the interaction with the Intel i210 NICs. I tried a PCIe add-on card (Startech) which have two i350 NICs on them. There I get a regular speed. But I have another problem with that PCIe card, as it blocks booting. But pushing the power button twice within a second makes continue the booting process.

I wait until there's a new BIOS and retry later.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!