First NAS - Rpi 4 based

• Hi guys (and girls of course),

I'm about to do a NAS DIY kit. As i'm going to use a PI4 (4Gb or 8Gb RAM, not decided yet), the thing is how to power 3,5" HDD (using 3 for the moment) and connect them to the Pi.

I've read something about it, and some are using an enclosure, others some king of hat for the pi with 4 SATA connections . As i'm on a low budget at the moment, i need some help on this. Is there some "hat" for the Pi4 that works with sata cables to connect? And how do i power on the disks? And the pi?

I've thought to power everything with a 12v 25A psu, but how do i connect that to the pi and the disks? Is there any cables pre-made to do those connections? do i chop a USB-C cable and others to connect that?

And for last, anyone has a 3d model to print that is able to assemble all this?

Thx's in advance to those who help !!

PS: Trupik , Adoby could you enlighten me with your experience? I saw that you use SBC.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use a RPi4, in a FLIRC case, with a normal 5 volt RPi power supply together with a 4 bay 3.5" HDD USB 3.0 enclosure that has a separate 12 volt power supply. I don't do anything fancy to reduce the number of cables or power supplies.

I have noticed instability if I connect more than one HDD/SSD to the RPi4. After a while it hang. So I take care to have only the powered USB3 enclosure connected. And then everything is rock steady.

I recommend against using a USB hub. USB is not very reliable, and the more cables and connectors you use, the worse you can expect it to get.

I also have a couple of Odroid HC2. For them I use a single 12V 20A power supply and I connected a bunch of "slaughtered" barrel plugs with cable. Also I power a switch, a fan and a WiFi mesh unit from the same 12 volt power supply. There is a lot of 12 volt cables, but only one power supply and only one 240V cable. Works fine and is rock steady. And it is a great relief to avoid having a lot of 12 volt warts and 240 cables. I especially selected switch and WiFi mesh unit for 12 volt, to be able to do this.

It should be possible to also use a DC-DC converter to provide 5V power to a RPi4 as well. But so far I don't do it. I made a quick search on Amazon.de and found this:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07ZY…_em_r_mt_dp_o0ZZFbTSAPZXD

On paper it looks to be just the thing. I like the USB C connector. But I haven't tested it. I did just order two. They will arrive some time after the Yule celebrations.

An USB C connector is not necessary. You could also power the RPi4 using 5V directly via the GPIO pins.

So if you have a 12 volt USB3 3.5" HDD enclosure and a RPi4, it should be possible to use one 12V power supply and one 12V to 5V DC-DC converter. Or you could just use the normal power supplies.

I have also considered the possibility to use a multi bay USB 3.5" HDD enclosure and simply replace one of the HDDs with a RPi4 and a DC-DC convertor like the one above. And just have a network cable coming out from a hole in the enclosure. Or mount the RPi4 to the inside of the enclosure so that the Ethernet port and USB ports is accessible through a hole in the enclosure. I may test that when I get the DC-DC converters.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Adoby ()

• Hi,

I'm very satisfied with my DIY NAS. Of course, isn't perfect and isn't for everyone, but i enjoyed the build and i can be "proud" for my creation.

As you can see, SBC based NAS can work very well :)

But... from my angle of view, RPi isn't good choice for NAS build. Of course, you can build NAS with RPi, and it can works, but i thik, here are better boards for this purpose.

For example - NanoPI M4 - heart of my NAS have direct PCIe -> SATA (PCIe header & SATA HAT with Marwell chipset). With RPi, you must go PCie->USB (on baord controller)->USB to SATA(HAT, or USB to SATA cables). Plus problems with tons of cables, powering, etc...

Btw: SATA HAT for RPi4

I'm rather recommend NanoPi M4v2 with SATA HAT, or ODROID-HC4.

If your budger is low, you can buy only M4v2, SATA HAT, PSU (i'm running with noname 12V@5A wall plug - for now, my nas have enought power to run with two 3,5" Seagate IronWolf 4TB drives) and run in mess on desk. When you save some money, you can buy/make/3D print some kind of case.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!