how to turn off some omv default configuration rules

• Bonjour,

I want to turn off some services configured by default by omv:

1- automatic upgrade

2- why is php enabled by default?

3- firewalld, I prefer to use iptables.

BTW, here, some ports are open (5355/tcp open llmnr, 35725/tcp open unknown, 42893/tcp open unknown, 46649/tcp open unknown, 46731/tcp open unknown)

The graphical interface under the firewall tab gives no informaion about the default rules.

Thank you for information.

F.P.

• Offizieller Beitrag

automatic upgrade

OMV doesn't automatically upgrade. It does download the updates daily. It is up to you to install them from the Updates tab.

why is php enabled by default?

Is this a serious question? OMV's backend is written in php. Hard to work if php isn't enabled.

firewalld, I prefer to use iptables.

OMV's firewall tab uses iptables already.

BTW, here, some ports are open (5355/tcp open llmnr, 35725/tcp open unknown, 42893/tcp open unknown, 46649/tcp open unknown, 46731/tcp open unknown)

These aren't ports from OMV services.

The graphical interface under the firewall tab gives no informaion about the default rules.

There are no default rules.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• # systemctl list-unit-files | grep iptables

answer= none

So the firewall is useless?

"useless" is the wrong description! Its not preventing to lock any communication and leaves it to the knowledgeable user to apply the desired walls. As main purpose of OMV is sharing data inside a private home network, defaults "walls" would hurt more than do good

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• "useless" is the wrong description! Its not preventing to lock any communication and leaves it to the knowledgeable user to apply the desired walls. As main purpose of OMV is sharing data inside a private home network, defaults "walls" would hurt more than do good

As the private network has an access to the internet, it is useful to control the traffic on network interfaces.

• access to the internet is absolutely no issue.

The risk comes when access from the internet is enabled.

Only persons having the knowhow for securing a computer for this scenario should attempt this as it involves creation of proper firewall rules.

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

# systemctl list-unit-files | grep iptables

answer= none

Probably because it doesn't have iptables in its name. https://github.com/openmediava…tables/10firewall.sls#L51

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Probably because it doesn't have iptables in its name. https://github.com/openmediava…tables/10firewall.sls#L51

Yes. I found something:

/etc/iptables/openmediavault-firewall.sh

That's what I was searching a script which could annihilate all attempts to build a firewall using the debian default one (nftables/iptables). Reading that script you can see:

start)

;;

It does nothing when starting and:

stop)

iptables -t filter -F INPUT

iptables -t filter -F OUTPUT

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT

iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

ip6tables -t filter -F INPUT

ip6tables -t filter -F OUTPUT

ip6tables -P INPUT ACCEPT

ip6tables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

;;

flush all tables when stopping and changes them to default accept anything from anywhere...

So, for me:

systemctl mask openmediavault-firewall.service

And use my own iptables scripts to protect my machine (like others on my network!)

F.P.

• access to the internet is absolutely no issue.

The risk comes when access from the internet is enabled.

Thank you so much and happy new year! I learnt something today: I can't get the Covid if I don't go outside and invite nobody in my home.

Only persons having the knowhow for securing a computer for this scenario should attempt this as it involves creation of proper firewall rules.

You maybe think that if someone asks for a tool, this fellow might know how to use the tool.... No?

• Well the first 2 questions didn't lead to confidence

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!