Hardlinks between different shares ?

• Hi,

I'm having an issue following this guide : How to make a good Media share for Emby and PlexMediaServer

I use to make "/" SMB shares but, reading this guide, it's "stupid" to do so.

So, I'm trying to follow these best practices and I've just discovered that a big functionality is missing doing so : hardlinks !

Sharing the root folder permitted me to make hardlinks between 2 top folders - say "Folder A" & "Folder B" - from unix clients having only 1 mount (and native mount options like serverino and/or mapposix)

Now, if I make 1 share for "Folder A" and another one for "Folder B", it seems that I cannot make hardlinks between them...

Invalid cross-device link

Am I missing something ? A SMB option on the server side ? Or on the client side (having 2 different mounts for "Folder A" & "Folder B") ?

How do you manage this ?

Thanks a lot for you advices.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any ideas about this ? How do you manage your SMB shares ?

My SMB shares are individual shares. SMB shares are not hard linked together.

I would agree that sharing the root of a data drive (the entire drive) is a bad idea. On the other hand, when setting up an individual shared folder and laying an SMB share on top of it, to put the share on the network, specific permissions can be assigned to the individual share.

To my way of thinking, a media share is well managed it users have "read only access" to the SMB share. While the user group may have "write" in the shared folder, the SMB share layed on top can be used to further restrict by setting the "read only" option. Finally, with a write list=yourusername in SMB's extra options, the admin (you) can write to the share.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!