Clonezilla backup failing after GParted reducing partition size

• My main system sits on a 250gb HDD which I wanted to replace with the 120gb SSD. Looking at the other guides on this forum, it recommended using GParted to reduce the main partition size down(Pic2), therefore making it small enough to fit on the new drive. Tried this (Pic3) but because the swap partition remained at the very end of the drive, I used GParted again to move the swap partition to sit next to the main partition (pic4), at which point the drive to drive copy worked. (both drives boot fine)

However I'm now no longer able to use Clonezilla to backup either drive (the SSD or the HDD). It errors out "pigz: Skipping: <stdin>: corrupted -- invalid deflate data) (pic1)

Any ideas what I've done wrong or need to do to correct this? Thanks

Pic1 - Error message in Clonezilla (after backing up the drive, whilst validating)

20210130-100951-5.jpg

Pic2 - Drive before modifying with GParted:

20210130-100822.jpg

Pic3 - Drive AFTER initial modification with GParted :

20210130-100951-3.jpg

Pic4 - Drive after final modification with GParted:

20210130-100951-4.jpg

• OMV doesn't have anything to do with this. This problem is more of a Clonezilla question. As it seems, there may be "rescue" options in Clonzilla's advanced menu. -> Clonezilla forum.

I get that, but clonezilla worked fine before following the guidance on this site on how to reduce the partition size, so was hoping somebody on here may be able to help. It has to be related as was working fine before. I'll take a look on the Clonezilla forum as well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here's the link to the guide

That's quite old but, still, I don't see anything "wrong" with it but I have no experience in this area. I use USB thumbdrives to boot, and they work fine. (They're dirt simple to clone.)

The drives to be copied, are they local? (The source and destination are on the same machine?) If the are, since you've been using Clonzilla and have a feel for that, consider using dd to clone a drive. A reference is -> here. Scroll down to "How To Clone an Entire Disk".

• Thanks for you help, turned out the backup drive is faulty. Unbelievable timing this only just happened the first time after I shorten the partion size to move to a smaller disk. Not quiet sure how it was able to 'write' the backup & only fail on the validation - would have thought the write would fail. Anyway thanks for your help & giudance

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for you help, turned out the backup drive is faulty. Unbelievable timing this only just happened the first time after I shorten the partion size to move to a smaller disk.

The issue, as you presented it was a real "head scratcher". It almost had to be something like a marginal drive. |

Thanks for posting a followup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!