OMV 5 Kernel update breaks LSI 9201-16e

• Guys,

Run all my working drives from an LSI 9201-16e in IT mode.

New user of OMV - so after the initial install ran all the available updates - one of which appears to have updated the Kernel from 5.7x to 5.8x

Refer to this Bug report - essentially the system no longer registers the drives as being available.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1878332

The workaround - confirmed by multiple people (and me on OMV) is to add the following to your Grub.cfg

Code
    Just do grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="mpt3sas.max_queue_depth=10000"

Craig

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von curto () aus folgendem Grund: Forgot to add link to kernel bug report

• Offizieller Beitrag

then select the 5.7 kernel and lock it as the default boot kernel

Except you are three kernels behind (5.10 is default backports kernel now) and won't get security patches.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Except you are three kernels behind (5.10 is default backports kernel now) and won't get security patches.

Yep - it is an issue in the short term - but the Kernel guys are aware of it and have plans to address it - so the workaround is the better option but some of the users may not be comfortable with editing their grub files etc

Craig

• Think I'm having a related problem. Installed OMV 5.5.11, on an Intel S3420GP server board with an older Xeon quad core and an LSI MegaRAID SAS 9266 Raid Controller, a pair of small, mirrored SSD boot drives and (5) 4 gig Seagate NAS drives in RAID 5 on a Gig E wired network. Building this to replace a similar, older Windows 2011 Home Server, have lots of large photo files. Started configuration per Techno Dad Life.

When I went to update the files in OMV (per Techno Life Dad), when I rebooted, the system failed to start, got what appeared to be a "normal" boot message in smaller typeface, then a very quickly displayed 2nd message in a much larger typeface and finally a message that indicated the video was out of range. System stuck at this video message. Reinstalled, reconfigured to the point of update, only updated files I thought I'd need (like no wireless updates), same problem on reboot. Third install, just updated OMV to 5.6, nothing else and all is ok. Continued configuration per Techno Dad Life but now afraid to update the O/S files now thinking that I'll have to rebuild the system.

Obviously an O/S related problem, think it is somewhere in GRUB.

Thoughts???

Prefer to resolve this before I move my files to the OMV NAS...

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Install the proxmox kernel and remove the debian kernels from the omv-extras Kernel tab.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I do not think this is the same problem - mine would not see any of the drives on the controller. If you are having video issues - then do an easy test - when the boot menu comes up on the screen - press the E KEY.

look for the line that ends in quiet and on the end of that put nomodeset - this resolved a problem i had with video and the new Ryzen Vega graphics chips - check under my name for a post about this.

Yours is however a much older machine so doubtful it is a a video issue - but this setting basically tells the kernel to leave the graphics alone with the BIOS.

This setting is a temporary one for that boot only - you will need to edit your grub config to make it permanent - test it and see anyway

craig

• Install the proxmox kernel and remove the debian kernels from the omv-extras Kernel tab.

Have you tested that works with these controllers ok ?? In the end i just added the fix line into my grub conf and regenerated the boot image and it is working fine - across updates etc as well.

Eventually the kernel guys should catch up

Craig

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you tested that works with these controllers ok ??

Nope. I have a 9211 and 9260 and they were ok with the proxmox kernel though. The 5.10 backports kernel has had lots of problems. The 5.4 proxmox (ubuntu lts) kernel has been very solid on lots of my systems.

• Just as an update, I modified the GRUB boot file with a video VGA command and that solved my problem with video corruption after boot up. Now everything comes up properly. AS FYI for anyone interested both the LSI and Fujitsu labelled LSI MegaRAID 9266 controllers work fine in both 5.5 (current install level) and 5.6.2.1. This is with the Debian updates (5.10 ??) loaded.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!