New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• I did successful set up two machines converted fom VirtualBox to my "testing omv" hardware. This worked perfektly.
    I have to create new network connections set cpu and RAM separatly etc.

Now i wish to move those machines to my "work omv machine".

Is it possible to "copy" those VM's completely or have i to move the .qcow2 volumes and set up new VM's ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it possible to "copy" those VM's completely or have i to move the .qcow2 volumes and set up new VM's ?

Copy the XML file from /etc/libvirt/qemu and the qcow2 volumes from their location. Put the qcow2 volumes in the same location as the source system (or edit the location in the xml file). Then do: sudo virsh define /path/to/VMNAME.xml

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

you mean

sudo virsh define /etc/libvirt/qemu/VMNAME.xml

No. You should let virsh put the xml file in that location. So, the temporary xml file can be anywhere.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• OK understand THX

btw. guess when i shutdown omv the vm maschines inside kvm will be shutdown safe?

Whats with a change of boot delay and/or change the start order of the VM's?

EDIT:

Just found /etc/default/libvirt-guests. is this the way?

• Offizieller Beitrag

guess when i shutdown omv the vm maschines inside kvm will be shutdown safe?

Yes, libvirt will try to do a safe guest shutdown on each VM. If you don't have the qemu guest agent installed, it won't be able to do a safe shutdown though.

Whats with a change of boot delay and/or change the start order of the VM's?

EDIT:

Just found /etc/default/libvirt-guests. is this the way?

START_DELAY can be set in that file but I don't know of any way to change the boot order. What are you trying to accomplish?

• Zitat

START_DELAY can be set in that file but I don't know of any way to change the boot order. What are you trying to accomplish?

To delay the start on boot of host is enough for the first, but will those file been "read" on boot? Is there no conflict between this settings and for example "autostart" generated from the kvm plugin?

• Offizieller Beitrag

To delay the start on boot of host is enough for the first, but will those file been "read" on boot? Is there no conflict between this settings and for example "autostart" generated from the kvm plugin?

The libvirt-guests service is what starts VMs are startup and stops VMs at shutdown. The service's unit file executes /usr/lib/libvirt/libvirt-guests.sh with either the start or stop argument. That script sources the /etc/default/libvirt-guests file. So, yes, it will be read on boot.

The plugin doesn't generate anything for autostart. It uses virsh to enable autostart for the selected VM. To do that, virsh symlinks the VM's xml file in /etc/libvirt/qemu/ to /etc/libvirt/qemu/autostart/. The /usr/lib/libvirt/libvirt-guests.sh script starts anything in the /etc/libvirt/qemu/autostart/ directory.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Another question ist how to connect my kvm guests to a lokal ressource on the omv?

In th How-To it is descripted with:

Zitat

If we want a network interface that has an IP in our LAN and at the same time can access the shared resources of the host, we must create a bridge interface in OMV as follows.

But on my omv i use the both NIC's as bond0. Did not undestand how it should work :/

Some threads before i read:

Zitat

The question is removed. It was necessary to add "net.ipv4.ip_forward=1" to "/etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf" on the omv host

Can u please explain this

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another question ist how to connect my kvm guests to a lokal ressource on the omv?

What do you mean by "local resource"? You can passthrough a directory or you can access it via networking. The later requires a bridge.

But on my omv i use the both NIC's as bond0. Did not undestand how it should work

You need to create a bridge to your bond.

Can u please explain this

As of 6.1.13 (just released a couple of hours ago), the plugin adds this itself.

• Ok, so in the omv UI network interfaces i don't touch my bond0, but i create a new bridge with the bond0 as Interface ?

IP Adress for the bridge is the same as on bond0 ?

Then create an network interface in KVM, type macvtap -> "new bridge", and at last connect the VM to this network interface ?

am i right ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, so in the omv UI network interfaces i don't touch my bond0, but i create a new bridge with the bond0 as Interface ?

IP Adress for the bridge is the same as on bond0 ?

Then create an network interface in KVM, type macvtap -> "new bridge", and at last connect the VM to this network interface ?

am i right ?

No. When you create a bridge, the bridge gets the IP address and the bond has it removed.

No. When you create the VM, you pick the adapter type "bridge" and then select br0 (or whatever you name it).

This is covered in the kvm guide - [How-To] Use the Openmediavault-KVM plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

my hardware uses the bond interface, two hardware nic's are configured as one bond0 and my switch uses 802.3ad protocoll.

So when i create a bridge interface i lose my fast bond interface?

:( Why do you think you lose your bond because you are bridging to the bond? You are just shifting what has the IP address. A bridge is still using the bond (in your case) just like it would a normal network adapter. Did you try?

• OK no luck

I did create a new bridge interface in the omv gui. Now i have this:

The VM got the br0 interface. Start the VM and go with noVNC url to configure the VM. The network interface in this W10 client is now a Red Hat VirtlO Ethernet Adapter. I configured the IP adress but ths VM got NO connection to the network.

Where i do the mistake?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now i have this:

Your bond still has an IP address. I've never setup a bond with a bridge in the web interface. Maybe someone else has done that and can help. I don't have time to setup a test environment just for this.

• Hello!

Cant find manual how to install windows guest not to the RAW or QCOW, but to the LVM2?

Installed virt manager and configure VM's through xming virt-manager.

Can somebody help?

Thanks!

OMV 6.
    Motherboard: Intel DP55WG
    CPU: Intel Xeon X3470
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    WD Black WD5000LPSX - system
    WD Blue 4GB x4 - RAID 10
    500GB SSD x2 - RAID 1 for VM's and Docker containers

• Offizieller Beitrag

Cant find manual how to install windows guest not to the RAW or QCOW, but to the LVM2?

I'm not sure that works. Why are you trying to avoid a virtual disk? You could create a pool from an LV but you would still have virtual disks on it.

That said, I missed allowing the plugin to a create a pool type of "logical" which would use LVM. You can create this from virt-manager though.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!