Problems with updating kernel to get wifi card running

• Hi there,

i just bought a Gigabyte GC-WBAX200 WiFI-Card because i can't use my OMV NAS with a wired connection anymore. After the installation i recognized that the wifi card does not show up in the interface tab of the webgui. I did some research and found out, that my kernel version is too low for it to work (according to Intel kernel version 5.1+ is needed for AX200 modules), so i tried to find out how to upgrade the kernel version. I read some instructions about backports and proxmox and tried both but i can't work it out. You can see my OMV version in the attachment.

Can you give me some advice how i could proceed? For you information, i am quite inexperienced with linux, but i'm trying my best to get used to it.

Thanks!

• C4L1L0V3

Hat das Label OMV 4.x hinzugefügt.
  • ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Okay, so is there a clear way to upgrade OMV 4 to OMV 5? I have read multiple threads in multiple forums with multiple ways. Sometimes it is also recommended to upgrade by installing OMV new from scratch. When doing this i am afraid i lose my configurations (i am using snapraid in OMV).

What is your recommended way to upgrade from 4 to 5? (And if possible not lose any configurations)

Is the way described in this post okay? (It may be german but i guess you can understand what he's doing by reading the code..)

Thanks again!

• The scripts stopped during the tests. So nothing happened so far, except some of the data points have been mounted read-only. This is where/why it stopped:

Zitat

Re-mounting /srv/6275e597-cb88-4cc5-a706-4abf87dcc702 read-only

fuse: mountpoint is not empty

fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option

run-parts: /root/openmediavault-upgrade-4.7/pre.d/20-remount-ro exited with return code 1

Well, you have files inside that mount point. This means, that even not mounted, /srv/6275e597-cb88-4cc5-a706-4abf87dcc702 contains files. You can force a (re)mount here using the mount option mentioned in the fuse message. But it is unusual, that a mount point already contains files. Why is that?

• To be honest i don't know why that is and i don't know what the consequences of this are. I have got four HDDs (the four ones above the quoted drive in your post and an SSD via two USB 3.0 adapters: This one and this one. So i guess this last drive must be the SSD where OMV is installed. But as i said, i don't know why that mount point already contains files (or what the problem with this is).

• Well, mount points are sually empty, because at this mount you mount a partition or device. So it doesn't make much sense, if the directory already contains files. You should be able to enforce the remount using

sudo mount -v -o remount,ro,nonempty /srv/6275e597-cb88-4cc5-a706-4abf87dcc702

and then run the upgrade script again. I highly recommend you make a backup before doing so!!!!

PS: If you unmount the file system, you can check what is already in /srv/6275e597-cb88-4cc5-a706-4abf87dcc702.

• Thanks for the tip, i made a backup before starting the upgrade as described in your script.

When using your command i am getting the following answer:

fuse: unknown option `remount'

What's the problem now? Sorry for my newbie questions...

• So i managed to upgrade to OMV 5 with your script, thank you!

Right now i am having an error in the webgui. It's coming up when i want to apply the changes (i guess those are still the ones which were made with the upgrade). What does it mean and how do i get rid of it?

Plus i activated the backports switch in OMV-Extras but i can't find the button to install the backport kernel.

• So i managed to upgrade to OMV 5 with your script, thank you!

Right now i am having an error in the webgui. It's coming up when i want to apply the changes (i guess those are still the ones which were made with the upgrade). What does it mean and how do i get rid of it?

Plus i activated the backports switch in OMV-Extras but i can't find the button to install the backport kernel.

The error essentially says:

salt.exceptions.SaltRenderError: Jinja error: No such object: //system/fstab/mntent[uuid='942c1f8b-3d1c-4d4e-89f7-d11e506659eb']

openmediavault.config.database.DatabaseQueryNotFoundException: No such object: //system/fstab/mntent[uuid='942c1f8b-3d1c-4d4e-89f7-d11e506659eb']

So a mountpoint, referenced in one of the config files, does not exist. You'll probably have to find the reference and fix the configuration manually. I suggest you report this in a new thread.

About your second issue:

Remove the line which says APT::Default-Release from /etc/apt/apt.conf and run sudo apt-get update. It should now see the backports kernel. I suggest you install sudo apt-get install linux-image-`uname -r`.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm gonna guess the first of those errors, he needs to clear his browser cache (his browser probably still has it cached from pre-upgrade)

Go to the omv webUI and log in.

On most browsers, Hold Control and click Refresh (or F5)... That should clear the cache for the OMV webUI address... while not messing with anything else.

Try to apply your changes then.

• So i managed to get both problems fixed:

1. I deleted all shares and readded the shared folders, now i don't get the GUI error anymore.

2. And with these tips i got the upgrade to linux 5.10.0.0:

Remove the line which says APT::Default-Release from /etc/apt/apt.conf and run sudo apt-get update. It should now see the backports kernel. I suggest you install sudo apt-get install linux-image-`uname -r`.

Unfortunately the wifi card doesn't work yet, but i guess i will open another thread in the correct subforum.

Thanks for your help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!