copy bootable SD to pendrive?

• Hello!! I currently have OMV with 1 4TB disk. the operating system boots from an SD that is a bit damaged. I have bought a pendrive to replace the SD. How or what is the way to copy everything that is in the SD to the new pendrive?

I really need to change from SD to pendrive, I am using google translator because English is not my original language, although I can understand much of it.

Thanks for your help !! :)
    :):/:thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

the operating system boots from an SD that is a bit damaged.

Not sure what you mean by “a bit damaged.” Maybe something was lost in the translation, but the best time to back up a boot drive is before it is a bit damaged. Another consideration is how much is on the boot drive.

Maybe this post will help.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Not sure what you mean by “a bit damaged.” Maybe something was lost in the translation, but the best time to back up a boot drive is before it is a bit damaged. Another consideration is how much is on the boot drive.

Maybe this post will help.

Hello, thanks for your answer, I hope the google translator helps me !!.

-The SD card is physically damaged and I am afraid that one day the operating system will not start.

-SD card has only the boot system and configuration (not for saving data or files)

-on the CPU that has a 6TB hard disk where I have very important work items and files with which I work

-What I want is to clone what I have in SD and transfer it to a pendrive.

-This way I will not use the SD anymore to start, I will do it from the pendrive

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the clarification. What machine are you using? I am not sure about any NAS that boots from a SD card that also readily lets you boot from a USB pen drive.

Using an SD card for your boot drive is good and safe as long as you use the Flashmemory plugin on OMV-extras. A good way to back up your SD card with another SD card of same size is to use dd from the command line. Here is a link to the steps on all three platforms. There are other ways but this is what I have been doing for a long time.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!