Posts by Agricola

Sounds like you started on the right track but strayed off some where. This is just my opinion but the best boot drive for your equipment is a 32GB Sandisk Ultra Flair. Buy two right off the bat, the second one for a backup.

1. They are inexpensive.
    2. They are easy to back up.
    3. They free up a sata connection.
    4. With the flash memory plugin they last a really long time - years and years.

Sounds like you are still in the experimental stage. Don’t worry about messing up and starting over. All Most of us have had to start over many times. The first thing you need to learn once you get a basic boot drive up is how to back it up AND restore from the backup. Here’s a good starter document.

If you use the command line it’s

Code
    ln -s /path/to/original /path/to/link

if you use the plugin it’s even easier:

1. Install the Symlinks plugin.
    2. Go to Shared Folders.
    3. Click on one of the little triangle/squares next to a category on a line and a drop-down will appear.
    4. Check Absolute Path and that category should appear for all your shared folders.
    5. You should see something like /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringoflettersandnumbers/media.
    6. Go to the Symlinks plugin in the OMV GUI to create your symlinks.
    7. Copy the last part for your source. Example: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringoflettersandnumbers
    8. Make the symlink (destination) for your file path something simple like/srv/disk1.
    9. If you have more than one data drive create a symlink for each drive. Name it after each file system: /srv/disk1, /srv/disk2, /srv/backup, etc.
    10. Save and apply.
    11. Now you can simply use /srv/disk1/media, /srv/disk1/config, /srv/disk1/Nextcloud.

Try that. There is really nothing to break, so if this doesn’t work for you just delete the symlink and start over. Use the symlink just like you would a real file path.

-v /var/lib/docker/duckdns:/config \

I also noticed your docker storage path is pointing to your boot drive. This too could lead to problems down the road. It needs to be somewhere on a data disk, something like /srv/dev-disk-by...../docker/duckdns

There are a couple of items in the example docker cli code that also differ from yours"

1. The example above does not list a dns entry.
    2. The LOG_FILE variable is set to false, and is optional BTW.

maar10media I am curious, why are you using docker cli method and not docker-compose? I'm not saying it is wrong, but it seems that most on the forum use the docker-compose format to deploy containers, and thus you might get a bit more input regarding a solution if you went that route. Also, as gderf posted above puid=998 is the root admin user, and that is considered not the best practices for several reasons admin is just intended for use with the GUI. You should create a regular user in the Users tab of the GUI, giving you a user id of 1000 or above. Add that user to the ssh and sudo groups and you will make the "code gods" happy.

Can I add rsync to scheduled jobs instead if I know the command? Will it work?

Which way is preferred in OMV and why?

Yes you can. Yes it will. I don't think there is an "official" preferred way. I do a rsync from a scheduled job to back up my main drive to a backup drive on the same machine. You can see the command in my signature below my post

Yes, I would go with OMV5 and disconnect your data drives while you install. Don’t create your cloned backup until you have your data drives, shares, and users set up.

Thanks for confirming on your version. I was about to go nuts trying to find Apple filing on my OMV5 servers.

Since you use Macs, this guide will be helpful for backing up your sd card from the terminal. Actually, the site has instructions for using Windows, Mac, or Linux.

patrickvdd what crashtest stated above was going to be my next suggestion. I was hoping we would stumble onto a solution. Take screenshots and lots of notes. A fresh install will be best in the long run. Look at those two guides crashtest links to above. The whole of the second document is well worth the read.

I am still puzzled about your Apple filing. Are you sure you are not running OMV4? I cannot find that service anywhere in my OMV5 installs, though I do remember seeing it in the past. I think it was discontinued with OMV5. I have Macs and I have never used it. SMB works fine for me on Macs and Linux machines.

The best OS backup is another identical (same size) flash drive. I like the Sandisk Ultra Flair. 16gig is plenty big but a 32gig helps out with the longevity. If you are a Windows user there’s Win32 Disk Imager. For Linux or mac there is the command line tool dd that does a good job at cloning boot drives. There is also Usbimager for all three platforms. All three methods are cold backups. There is a live backup plugin for OMV, but I wasn’t able to get it to work (I didn’t try very hard.)

Letsencrypt has become Swag. There was a copyright issue over the name.

Sorry, I know nothing about Bitwarden. I use LastPass.

The questions in your last paragraph are hard to answer. It all depends on what’s on your workstation. Most of my files have migrated to the server so that my desktop and laptop do not contain much besides OS and apps.

I have found that Pi-Hole deploys easily from a Diet-Pi installation on any number of SBC’s. Mine’s an Odroid XU4 and a 32gig sd card. An Rpi3 would be just as good. An Rpi4 is almost too good to waste on a dedicated Pi-hole. There are a number of users on this forum who can help you with an OMV- based Pi-hole, that can then be used as a backup too.

All I am saying is that RAID of any type is not a backup, especially for the home server. You can read on this forum many sad stories where users have relied on RAID of one kind or another, thinking it was some sort of backup. If you were getting started with a new home server I just thought it would be a service to you to make you rethink WHY you think you want/need RAID. There are many users on the forum who use RAID, I assume for good reasons. I am not saying RAID is bad, just that it is greatly misunderstood by many.

Redundancy and speed was the goal.

Speed, yes. Redundancy, no. A good, reliable, automated, recoverable backup is redundancy.

OMV sits on top of Debian.

Also many running amd64 machines use a 32Gig thumb drive to run their OS. It frees up a sata port, is easy to backup, and with the flashmemory plugin it will last years.

Hi,

is it possible to use those symlinks as well for shared folders mapping (I didn't found how).

My concern is, that even when I backup disk, what to do when it fails? OK, I can take new disk, restore content there, but I'm afraid that shared folders are mapped using /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringof lettersandnumbers so I still need to create shared folders one by one - not nice :(

Any better way? Thanks

Yes. As outlined in the 10 steps above; that is what I was demonstrating. I have edited the list a bit for clarification purposes.