Posts by Agricola

I have a first version NanoPi M4 with a SATA hat, but I have never run any drives from the USB. Is there any way you could externally power those 2 HHD’s and see if it’s a power issue?

BTW: This is an excellent SBC machine. It does become a little pricey when you add the heat sync, 4-port SATA hat, and dedicated 12V. power supply. It is my backup server and has been running continuously for 2 years.

Once the connection between two servers is established in this way, all communications between them are encrypted. You don't need anything else. You can run them as if they were on the same LAN.

You should write a [How-To] showing how to set up Wireguard from a container. Especially:

1. How the variables in the yml should be set.
    2. How to set up the tunnel once deployed.
    3. How to set up a Rsync job between two machines.

But then how the socket knows the schedule is finish and the pi turns off by the command of rsync. Later the socket cuts the power to early

It might take a little trial and error to determine how long a Rsync will take. Add some time to that for a margin of error.

This kind of timer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d…=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

The purpose of the timer is to act as a start up for the sbc, as it does not have a power switch. It starts up as soon as power is supplied.

Copaxy One simple solution would be to use an sbc arm board for your backup omv and set up a schedule job on it to rsync your data folders on your main server, with a command at rsync completion to shut down. If you plug this into a simple timer you can have it power up the sbc just before your scheduled job is set to begin, and then have the timer schedule to cut power shortly after backup and shutdown. No need to remotely wake on LAN at all. Now how you would do that with a regular PC to have the machine come on when the timer turned the power on, doubtless there’s a way but I don’t know how.

Edit: I just remembered, there is a sample rsync in my signature below. Hope that helps.

Do not forget the UPS, or your backup system.

Copaxy Don't let this short sentence pass by unnoticed. At the end of the day this is more important than what hardware you use.

You sound unsure which direction to take. Save some money by buying some "learning" machines, so you can figure out what you eventually want/need. Pick up a couple of used towers on Ebay, Newegg, or something similar. Be careful to use reputable sources. You might even have some old 64 bit/dual core machines lying about collecting dust, or you might know someone who has this kind of paperweight taking up space in a closet who would love for you to get rid of it for them. Learn your way around OMV and its plugins/services/containers/dockers/etc. The money you save will allow you to buy a UPS and some backup disks and machines.

Your reference to Debian 11 concerns me. Debian 11 is the foundation for OMV6, which is still in the alpha/testing phase. Unless you intend to be testing, you need to follow a guide that begins with Debian 10 without a desktop.

What kind of computer are you trying to install on?

markmarz a couple of questions:

1. What machine are you running omv on?
    2. Do you have a proven backup of your operating system?

Some of my methods are not as technical as they should be. I am more of a trial and error problem fixer, so I don’t want to go telling you to uninstall docker from the GUI and then reinstalling it, and then try to install Portainer again unless I know you have a good working and proved operating system backup. There are also some apt clean commands on the omv-extras GUI page.

Maybe someone with a little more technical expertise will put their oar in. In the meantime you might look into OS backups.

Just a short comment in general on KM0201 and chente in posts 37 - 40 above: This is the beauty of OMV - simple enough for a moron like me to set up a powerful and reliable server with zero command line skills, yet versatile and robust enough to carry along someone like me while I gradually learn the necessary commands to tweak and modify from the terminal.

Portainer isn't something I particularly worry about 100% up to date all the time.

Well, me either. The more I have gotten into deploying and updating containers with docker-compose the less I rely on Portainer, but I do use it once in a while to restart a container, or look at the logs, or check to remind myself what port a container is on. If a container announces an upgrade I usually wait a few days to see if anything amiss bubbles up in the forum, and then I upgrade if the coast seems clear. I try to always upgrade a backup or test machine first, wait a few days, and then upgrade the container on my main server.

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to give them a persistent alias, that I can use to refer to them

The Symlinks plugin hasn’t been ported to OMV6 yet, but Symlinks are super easy to set up from the command line:

Code
    # Set a Symlink:
    ln -s /path/to/original /path/to/folder
    # Example:
    ln -s /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c/media /srv/media
    # Remove a Symlink:
    rm /path/to/folder

The version should appear each time you login via ssh. Sometimes it helps readers to troubleshoot problems if the version is known. The version is usually tagged by the author at the first post of a thread.