Privilege and ACL change deleted my files

• Hello all,

after I updated for a shared folder the ACL and privilege everything inside the shared folder got deleted.

The ACL change went without issues but trying to apply the changes done to the privilege I would get an error along the lines that the mount is already mounted.

I rebooted the VM and then noticed via SSH that the folder is indeed empty. Checking the disk utilization you can see that it lost around 400GB of data.

The shared folder (Karaoke) was referenced via SMB, had around 12k folders and maybe 60k files.

Without getting too emotional, I want to help troubleshoot this issue, but I don't find a collected log export. So which ones are needed?

And no I don't have a backup because I don't have the infrastructure to backup 400GB of karaoke files, my real data/VMs are of course secured. Nevertheless because of this incidence I am migrating away from OM.

Kind regards

• That doesn't even make sense. I don't see how permissions or ACL's would have done that. Permissions are just that, they don't randomly delete files.

What exactly did you do?

As said in the original post, I updated the privileges and ACL on the shared folder, it gave me some weird error after trying to apply the changes (mount already mounted?). I just rebooted the vm from inside the shell, since I did not want to waste time troubleshooting this issue. Already weird enough I was not able to update privileges... I did not operate in no other aspect with the system or web-GUI.

I am the only user, that share is only mounted on my Windows machine. I have been using OMV since 3 years, I am running a homelab and I consider myself an advanced user. You can not delete a shared folder if it is somewhere referenced, in my case SMB/CIFS.

In the graph you can see how fast the data disappeared, it is impossible it happened through Windows because over the network this big amount of files would cause Windows to crash/or take longer.

My other 4 shared folders (3 on the same disk) are all in tact.

Judging by the graph the data was deleted before my reboot, which makes it even weirder.

• Well it doesn't make any more sense when you repeated it. I don't see how that is even possible.

Is there any log I can attach you?

I also can't believe that this happened and was possible - something really weird must have happened.

I have little plugins installed (remotemount, diskstats, sftp and omvextras [nothing enabled though]). I installed manually docker and there are some docker containers running but none of them mount that path. I updated the whole VM 2 weeks ago and I have not changed much in the configuration for like a year. It was running stable and as it should.

In my opinion it is a nogo that my files are getting deleted, I guess I could try to recover them but I rather spent the time migrating to some other solution.

• The karaoke share is the only one that is available via sftp, which after looking briefly is part of omv-extras. As somebody who does not know any better I would blame it on that plugin. I have played with permissions/acl many times and nothing ever happened

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any log I can attach you?

I also can't believe that this happened and was possible - something really weird must have happened.

I have little plugins installed (remotemount, diskstats, sftp and omvextras [nothing enabled though]). I installed manually docker and there are some docker containers running but none of them mount that path. I updated the whole VM 2 weeks ago and I have not changed much in the configuration for like a year. It was running stable and as it should.

In my opinion it is a nogo that my files are getting deleted, I guess I could try to recover them but I rather spent the time migrating to some other solution.

If you're migrating to another solution, there's no point in troubleshooting. You're the only person I've ever seen suggest something like this happened.

• If you're migrating to another solution, there's no point in troubleshooting. You're the only person I've ever seen suggest something like this happened.

Well let's hope other solutions are this good :D I was quite happy with OMV.

Let me know if you need anything further, but thank you very much for the fast replies :)

Take care

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well let's hope other solutions are this good :D I was quite happy with OMV.

Let me know if you need anything further, but thank you very much for the fast replies :)

Take care

Just like your explanation of "something along lines the mount is already mounted". I suspect giving you things to check will end up in a wild ass goose chase for your amusement, and I don't do those.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!