Openmediavault on my Raspberry Pi 4 8gb running Raspbian

• I have just wiped the SSD drive where i had the OS. Made a fresh install of Raspberry OS and installed OMV and OMV Extras. Eyes are bleeding at the moment but i will continue to configure everything tomorrow and see if this does the trick or not.

I am skeptical that it is a drive issue, although you never know. But i made a complete wipe of the drive.

I do think that i might have corrupted something at some point because i used to have loads of stuff on this RPI and i have transferred a lot of server stuff to a real server machine.

I will keep you all updated in how things progress. Thanks a lot for the quick responses.

• Build the R-PI according to the project's guide.

Also, you might consider a second boot drive for backup. With backup, you won't have to rebuild if something goes south.

I have had it up and running the whole day and it has not gone south yet anyway.

I added Docker and Portainer just an hour ago and i installed AdguardHome in docker just to have something running there. We will see what happens.

Well all my data is stored on a seperate drive so it wasn´t much of a hassle to get it up and going again.

One could make an image of the install when everything is up and running, save that on some safe location. That way you just need to burn that image and it will be restored.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wouldn't be overly confident yet. I'm not very familiar with SSD's in general (I do have one). However, the inconsistency of SMART data returns, when queried, would still be a concern to me.

One could make an image of the install when everything is up and running, save that on some safe location. That way you just need to burn that image and it will be restored.

I do the above with dated image files AND have I a cloned thumbdrive ready for my main server, sitting on top of the case. That allows some rollback depth in backup and, with a backup boot device built and in hand, recovery can be done is as little as 3 minutes.

I'm going to give the timeshift package a closer look, this fall. For layered OS backup, that seems like the optimum approach.

• I wouldn't be overly confident yet. I'm not very familiar with SSD's in general (I do have one). However, the inconsistency of SMART data returns, when queried, would still be a concern to me.

I do the above with dated image files AND have I a cloned thumbdrive ready for my main server, sitting on top of the case. That allows some rollback depth in backup and, with a backup boot device built and in hand, recovery can be done is as little as 3 minutes.

I'm going to give the timeshift package a closer look, this fall. For layered OS backup, that seems like the optimum approach.

Still working :) I am actually quite confident when i have gone through things that i might have messed up something when i removed nextcloud and moved that to another machine.

I do not really like the SD card approach since it is slow and they die so quick. Thumb drives are not very reliable either. SSD usually just work, but ofcourse everything can fail if the correct parameters are met. I have arranged all my SSD´s in a rack that cools them and so on.

There is however a lot of disc activity on the Raspberry Pi 4 with OMW i have noticed.

Timeshift looks interesting i must say.

But i am not that concerned about the Pi running OMW that is just one of many backups, i have multiple backups on different places so redunancy is there indeed. That is why i not that concered about if the SSD on the pi dies, but it seems to be working after the clean install of everything.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never had any trouble with using Thumbdrives to boot in X86, as long as the Flashmemory Plugin is used and it's quality drive like SanDisk. The story is "roughly" the same with SD-cards in SBC's when buying a quality item (SanDisk or Samsung). It does "seem" as if SD-cards are more susceptible to dying young (junk cards don't last), but there are no worries if backup is maintained.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with an SSD.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!