DIY Home Nas help

• Hi,

I want to build a home nas out of an old computer and I have allready made succesful tests with OMV.

The specs are:

I5 4750

Asrock H81-VG4

a Crucial MX 240GB SSD

Some old LC-Power 420Watts

and two old Sata HDDs (1. 350Gb 2. 250Gb, running in Mirror so 250Gb usable)

they do reach the 110MB/s Gigabit speed just fine though.

Of course those specs were fine for testing but I want to upgrade the machine.

I heard somewhere that these cheap onboard Realtek Gigabit chips are no good so if that is true what is a good intel gigabit card that won't break the bank?

On the PSU side I though of a pure power 11 400W from be quiet.

For the hdds I thought of 3x 3TB running in Raid 5

It's not like the nas has to run 24/7 it is just a kind of extenden storage, a place where me and my family can back up data. So It'll be shut down for the night for example.

Since I'm quite new to this what would you suggest to me?

Thanks!

• The Realtek Onboard LAN should be sufficient, there is no need for an Intel LAN adapter. Many if not most NAS have a Realtek NIC onboard (such as my TerraMaster F5-221 with an Intel CPU, that works just fine with GBit speed). If you need a second NIC for link aggregation, I would go for a dual NIC LAN card and disable the onboard solution. Realtek is fine thow also for that one.

Your second solution with the 3 3 TB HDDs is fine, I use a similar configuration with three 3 TB WD RED harddisks as a aRAID 5 configuration in my TerraMaster F5-221 server with Debian 11 Bullseye and OMV 6 Shaitan alpha, together with pi-hole and miniDLNA. Was a pain in the butt to get it going (pi-hole failed to install - the key is to install lighttpd first before OMV and pi-hole), but it works fine now.

A desktop PC wastes a huge amount of energy - as long as you don't need the additional power of a Core i5 for example for virtual machines. I would opt for a NAS with Intel CPU like I did, that will safe a huge amount of power on the long run.

The shutdown can be done with a OMV sheduled task quiet easily - you can also set the drives to power down after a while.

In addition, I would use a cheap SSD for the system - if you do that, the harddisks can be shut down on idle. I use a 120 GB Intenso SSD in bay 1 of my TerraMaster - that costs only 20 Euros so it's quiet cheap - but overkill for a headless debian installation, that uses only 2.3 GB on the SSD, Bay 2-4 hold the three harddisks. Bay 5 is empty right now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem is, when they dont work.. they're crap. See here and on Reddit how many people have issues w/ realteks (and I am squarely in this camp).

I just won't buy a board w/ a realtek device unless I'm planning on a network card.

• The problem is, when they dont work.. they're crap. See here and on Reddit how many people have issues w/ realteks (and I am squarely in this camp).

Fortunately I never had issues with Realtek NICs until now - hope that stays that way :D - even in Debian, the worst issue was that Debian complained about missing firmware - I downloaded the dep package and installed it manually and the issue was gone - but the network connectivity worked without that anyway.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!