Running 3D printer software on NAS (Fluidd, OctoPrint, etc.)

• I haven't looked at the resources needed, but I'm becoming tired of running _INDIVIDUAL_ RPi's for 3D printers, so has anyone looked into the resources needed?

The NAS I'd use would be a "home" NAS and never sees serious traffic. Admittedly, I've done 0% research on how much/many resources would be needed to host say 4 3D printers simultaneously, but these RPI's got to go (maybe a dedicated machine for this would be better).

• Yeh, there's a Docker for all of them it seems, I'm just not sure if the hardware needed to run concurrent jobs and there doesn't appear to be much info (everything I've read is about dedicating 1 machine to 1 printer). I'll have to dip a little into this and stop being lazy (or scared that a 12 hour print will go bad).

• Reason for me asking. I'll have a look at the Docker option

It works as expected. I used a USB 3.0 8port powered hub in testing. What I did find interesting is that a rasppi is very much overkill.

I tired to run a gcode generator/parser on an ESP32, but the low memory became the ceiling. Surprisingly though, even with the ESP32's bad float performance, it could keep up in that department. I don't know what the ultimate low energy "gcode router" would be, but a Pi is extreme overkill. If I built a dedicated box/NAS for this, I'm imagining many, many printers attached before skipping steps or laggy calculations. Since the gcode can be cached to the printers SD (or whatever), I might try using a phone (that can be rooted).

watch?v=74xdib_-X38

(Although that is for Octoprint)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!