Linux kernel 5.15 has for the first time an in-kernel space SMB server - will this have an impact to OMV?

• One of the bigger changes announced for Linux kernel 5.15 is an in-kernel space SMB server.

I wonder if someone tried to install OMV on a kernel 5.15 and would happen to know if it will have any negative impact on OMV

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

would happen to know if it will have any negative impact on OMV

Why would it? It probably will be disabled or a module. And just like nfs (another server in the kernel), it doesn't do anything unless configured.

One of the bigger changes announced for Linux kernel 5.16 is an in-kernel space SMB server.

It is SMB3 only. I see no reason for 99.99% of OMV users to even care about this. It isn't as configurable as samba and unless you have some seriously fast networking (10G+), you have no need for it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• unless you have some seriously fast networking (10G+), you have no need for it.

posting Poor speed with SMB over 40gbe triggered my question

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

posting Poor speed with SMB over 40gbe triggered my question

I don't see any mention of 40gbe in those posts. And how many people have 40GBe adapters and networks? We don't even use 40GB at work except to connect datacenters. So, this is WAY outside the realm of OMV. In-kernel smb is not a replacement for samba just because you can't hit network speeds. If samba can't hit the speeds, it is cpu or other hardware bound.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I don't see any mention of 40gbe in those posts.

Sorry my link was too deep down, OP quoted "I have two servers connected using a direct connect 40gb ethernet (2 Chelsio T580’s)"

• Offizieller Beitrag

OP quoted "I have two servers connected using a direct connect 40gb ethernet (2 Chelsio T580’s)"

And what I don't understand is why the OP is using samba at all since both boxes are Linux. nfs would be much better here. Either way, samba isn't the problem here if they are only hitting 200MB/s. This is probably a network driver issue. I have 10GBe links between my servers and have hit 800+MB/s with a single nvme on both sides using nfs.

• mi-hol

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Linux kernel 5.16 has for the first time an in-kernel space SMB server - will this have an impact to OMV?“ zu „Linux kernel 5.15 has for the first time an in-kernel space SMB server - will this have an impact to OMV?“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!