Raid 5, 3 HDD's, clean degraded

• no,

if i select it I can't mount it

but I didn't reboot. Should I?

edit: If I try:

Code
    root@MEDIASERVER:~# mount /dev/md127
    mount: /dev/md127: can't find in /etc/fstab.

OMV5: Fractal Design Node 304 - ASRock J3455 ITX - 16GB DDR3 - 400 Watt be quiet! - 32GB SSD - 3xWD Red Plus

• after reboot:

the good news: the Raid is shown again. (it was mounted automatically)

the bad news: when I try to recover /dsv/sdd via WEBGUI it is the same error than in post #1 --> Failed to write metadata :/

OMV5: Fractal Design Node 304 - ASRock J3455 ITX - 16GB DDR3 - 400 Watt be quiet! - 32GB SSD - 3xWD Red Plus

• Code
    root@MEDIASERVER:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [ra                         id10]
    md127 : active raid5 sda[0] sdb[1]
          27344500736 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/2] [UU_]
          bitmap: 28/102 pages [112KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices: <none>

• no :(

Should I try to change SATA cable? Or switch SATA-ports on my Motherboard (I have only 4 SATA for my four drives).

• under storage --> disks i see all disks.

in S.M.A.R.T:

i have to go now. Tomorrow i will change SATA cable.

Thanks for the help so far.

• :/ i changed all three SATA-cables for the HDD's but no difference. Still the same error when I try to recover /dev/sdd in the WEBGUI.

Maybe give it a try to add the disk with the SSH. Is it:

Code
    mdadm --add /dev/md127 /dev/sdd

?

Next step would be to change SATA ports on the mainboard, but now I am struggeling:

For example

sda --> SATA-Port 1 (works acutally -->OS)

sdb --> SATA-Port 2 (works acutally)

sdc --> SATA-Port 3 (works acutally)

sdd --> SATA-Port 4 (works not)

e. g. I would try to change sdb to SATA-Port 4 and sdd to SATA-Port 2:

Maybe SATA-Port 4 is broken and OMV does not recognize sdb but sdd on SATA-Port 2: So sdc is the only disk with is in the RAID, but OMV tries to connect sdd automatical to the RAID, but my data structure on the RAID has changed the last weeks only using sdb & sdc.

I hope you know what I mean?

Is it dangerous. My RAID is not a backup. If I loose the RAID, I will loose a lot of data :(

Another option: Buy a new motherboard?

Regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it dangerous. My RAID is not a backup. If I loose the RAID, I will loose a lot of data

Yes you will

OK, the issue could be related to one of the sata ports so you need to test them, but why are you booting from a hard drive when a usb flash drive is good enough, which is what I use.

Disconnect the data drives (your 3 raid drives) at least then the data should be Ok, use the OMV OS drive to test each port, it will take a little time because OMV will try to locate the raid but it should still boot. If it is Sata Port 4 then you have 3 options, a) a new m'board b) run omv from a usb flash drive, (that would require 2 or 3 one working and one as a backup) I use 3 in rotation, c) PCIE sata card and run the raid drives off that

Option2 is the cheapest, but it means your board would only have 3 workable sata ports, option3 would not be too expensive but you need to be careful what you buy, we've had user's with cheap chinese cards.

• strange.

I test all ports using only the omv OS drive. Every Port works. I reach the WEBGUI and did a apt-get update & apt-get upgrade via SSH. Works fine with every PORT :/

Before I tested the PORT's, I did a S.M.A.R.T. test with sdd:

If the Ports are okay, it has to be the disk?

• I enclose the system log from rebooting the system

20211230 omv-log.txt

edit:

I could extend all four disks and put it in my DESKTOP-PC. It will be a lot of work, but maybe it helps to go on :/

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Darcu ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the Ports are okay, it has to be the disk, Works fine with every PORT

The drive appears to be OK, 5, 10, 196, 197, 198 are not returning any error counts.

So if the ports are OK the drive /dev/sdd is seen in Storage -> Disks, but not in blkid my only suggestion then would be to wipe that drive then add it to the array, BUT be VERY VERY CAREFUL ensure you are selecting the right drive to wipe, if you wipe one of the others your data is toast!!!

Look at your post 31 and screenshots of storage -> disks this will show the serial number for each drive, if you have to, write down the serial number and the port it's connected to, check and double check, satisfy yourself what you have written is correct, then check when it's booted up.

I can't help you recover a toasted array :)

• hey,

I am not sure if I understand you right:

I have written down my SERIAL-No. from the WEBGUI. I search for the SERIAL-No of my "fault-disk" sdd physically and disconnect this drive from SATA-Port and energy?

What to do next? I am not sure what you mean with wipe the drive. Formatting? Formatting with my DESKTOP PC and after format back to the NAS and add it to array?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No you wipe the drive in OMV, if you're satisfied you have the correct one Storage -> Disks select the drive and click wipe on the menu, you can select short, do nothing until the drive has finished, then add it to the array as you attempted before using recover

• okay, I think I thought too complicated with SERIAL NO.

So it is:

because:

correct?

I am not sure why the SERIAL-No is important for your suggested step. Sorry, I am a bit nervous. :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am not sure why the SERIAL-No is important for your suggested step. Sorry, I am a bit nervous

I assumed you had the drives disconnected :)

But going back to your post 32, you could try that command from the cli (ssh) and post any errors, if there are no errors then run cat /proc/mdstat it just might show the raid rebuilding

• Code
    root@MEDIASERVER:~# mdadm --add /dev/md127 /dev/sdd
    mdadm: Failed to write metadata to /dev/sdd

I assumed you had the drives disconnected :)

no all four drives's are connected again.

So go on with:

wiping /dev/sdd like posted in #38 ??

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!