Powercut corrupted boot disk

• Hi

So made a huge error last night & unplugged the wrong thing - my HP Proliant Gen 8 running OMV.

It won't come back up - I've connected a screen & keyboard & when I boot it I get an error about non-system disk or disk error.

Have connected a USB with Live Ubuntu - ran file system check & repair but still no joy.

Now in the process of running Boot Repair.

What other steps can I take to see if it's recovered? Or is it dead & I need to start from scratch?

I can still access the boot drive from Ubuntu so didn't know if I could copy configs off/docker details off etc to make life slightly easier for me?

• You should copy the config.xml and docker-compyose files and any docker volumes if you still have them on the os drive, just incase, you have to reinstall.

How are you bootingthe server, from an USB stick?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• You should copy the config.xml and docker-compyose files and any docker volumes if you still have them on the os drive, just incase, you have to reinstall.

How are you bootingthe server, from an USB stick?

Thank you
    No, booting from a HDD - after this looking at moving it over to an SSD.

• The error means your bios can not find a bootable disk.

Can you check in the bios if you still have the right boot order.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• The error means your bios can not find a bootable disk.

Can you check in the bios if you still have the right boot order.

Sadly no joy - disconnected all other drives & network as it kept trying NIC boot - but nothing

It's the Proliant Gen 8

ananas - not got iLo set up because sadly don't have enough ports on my switch (only an 8 port switch) - thankfully had a vga monitor in the garage!

Think it's gonna have to be save what configs I can & start from scratch.

If I install OMV on a separate drive will the backup plugin allow me to backup configs from this drive & transfer them to that one? Or can it only backup from the OMV it boots into?

• If I install OMV on a separate drive will the backup plugin allow me to backup configs from this drive & transfer them to that one? Or can it only backup from the OMV it boots into?

If you have OMV on another disk, you can just copy the files with cp. I do not understand what is going on. Have you checked that the drive has a partition wich is marked as bootable? use fdisk to check.

• Zoki

I meant the micro server.

And sorry, not trying to be difficult with my answers, sorry. Just trying to see if I can get back into my original OMV install.

Booted up Ubuntu Live on my usb & ran fdisk. /dev/sda1 is set to boot. And checked the filesystem using "Disks" on Ubuntu & it passed ok.

Interestingly I can't run fsck on /dev/sda5 which is showing up in Disks as my Swap Partition. Doesn't matter if I unmount it or not.

• The Microserver has a built in B120 RAID controller, which has some peculiarities in booting.

Can you check if the boot mode (RAID or AHCI) has changed during the power outiage?

The other thing is, the Microserver will only boot from the first bay or the internal USB key (or a ssd in the odd) See here: https://op-co.de/blog/posts/microserver_gen8_fix_boot_order/

Maybe this helps in diagonsing this further.

• The Microserver has a built in B120 RAID controller, which has some peculiarities in booting.

Can you check if the boot mode (RAID or AHCI) has changed during the power outiage?

The other thing is, the Microserver will only boot from the first bay or the internal USB key (or a ssd in the odd) See here: https://op-co.de/blog/posts/microserver_gen8_fix_boot_order/

Maybe this helps in diagonsing this further.

Zoki

You absolute legend!

It was the B120 RAID controller. Removed my storage drives & kept the boot drive in, recreated the array and set it as boot drive & voila! NAS came back to life with no corruption or data loss at all.

Thank you!

• nickfrancis

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!