Unable to install from OMV iso on AMD system

• I have been trying to install OMV (latest stable version 5.6.13 - from USB memory stick) onto an almost totally new AMD system. The problem I experience is, that very early during the install after the "Configuring DHCPv6" step, the installation simply dies on a blue screen with a white line in the bottom.

The system:

* AMD Athlon PRO 300GE

* MSI B450M-A PRO MAX

* 16 GB Aegis G-Skill 3200 MHz (on the verified list for the motherboard/CPU combination)

* Intel 660p 256GB NVME

* 850W PSU (to be replaced by a smaller PSU)

All components are brand new, except the NVME which had a Windows 10 installation (from a Ryzen 3/B450 system) which booted without any problems, but which where removed (partitions deleted) before installing OMV. I also tried Zorin Live which booted from a USB memory stick without any problems.

I tried looking through the forum for at solution, but did not find anything of relevance.

I will try to install OMV using the "Installation on Debian" method and see if I have more success doing it that way.

• Use the "nonfree" version of the Debian netinstall ISO.

It contains extra drivers for other components.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's a very new board for OMV 5.

My suggestion would be to try the Debian Mini ISO for Debian 10, and then install OMV on top of that.

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdi…10.11.0-amd64-netinst.iso

There's the image you need.

Follow the instructions for an alternate amd64 install..

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…_OMV5_on_32-bit_i386.pdf/

Beyond that, I would try the OMV 6 ISO

• This would work as well following the same procedure.. I can just never find that image.

Index of /images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware (debian.org)

;)

• jnorre

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Using the nonfree image from Soma and the instructions from KM0201, I managed to get OVM installed on the computer. Thanks guys!

Hopefully your experience is better mine, but Ken's 1st Commandment of Server Builds (and Linux builds in general).. Thou shalt not buy a board w/ a Realtek NIC (unless thou factors in the cost of an Intel card). Some people say they have zero problems with them... that's just not the case for me. They have given me nothing but problems. My current server (which is pushing 11-12yrs old).. has a Realtek in it that I tried for almost 2yrs to get to work properly. Driver installs, tweaks I found on the Internet, bla bla bla (it worked when it wanted to.. but random speed drops, disconnects, etc.. were common). I installed an Intel card and it has been problem free ever since. My luck, the Realtek works perfectly now, it's just that I haven't plugged it in in almost 9yrs.

As I've been purchasing components for my rebuild here in a few months (if I don't put it off again).. The first thing I've checked on potential boards, is the NIC. A few boards I've seen have a Realtek NIC, and I like them otherwise... but if the price isn't right to where I can add an Intel card.. I'll just move on to other boards and find something with Intel, which has been rock solid for me with Linux for years (not just server builds)

• Hopefully your experience is better mine, but Ken's 1st Commandment of Server Builds (and Linux builds in general).. Thou shalt not buy a board w/ a Realtek NIC (unless thou factors in the cost of an Intel card). Some people say they have zero problems with them... that's just not the case for me. They have given me nothing but problems. My current server (which is pushing 11-12yrs old).. has a Realtek in it that I tried for almost 2yrs to get to work properly. Driver installs, tweaks I found on the Internet, bla bla bla (it worked when it wanted to.. but random speed drops, disconnects, etc.. were common). I installed an Intel card and it has been problem free ever since. My luck, the Realtek works perfectly now, it's just that I haven't plugged it in in almost 9yrs.

As I've been purchasing components for my rebuild here in a few months (if I don't put it off again).. The first thing I've checked on potential boards, is the NIC. A few boards I've seen have a Realtek NIC, and I like them otherwise... but if the price isn't right to where I can add an Intel card.. I'll just move on to other boards and find something with Intel, which has been rock solid for me with Linux for years (not just server builds)

Actually, this new OMV is built with an AMD because I have the exact opposite experience with Intel: Having 3 servers (2 QNAP NAS and 1 stand-alone) built with the energy light Intel J1900 and having first one stopping without any reason, and 1.5 years later the next one dying, just to find out that the J1900 (based upon C2000 series server-celeron) has a hardware bug (the LPC bug) which causes computers based on these chips to die at an accelerated speed. Actually, I replaced one of the QNAP NAS's with a newer NAS before I heard of this, and learned that this years old bug still is present on some newer Jxxxx series CPU's :( So having Ryzen's in my desktop, my wife's desktop and my laptop, without any problems, I actively sought out a energy efficient Ryzen chip for the OMV server, which will replace all the 3 Intel-based computers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually, this new OMV is built with an AMD because I have the exact opposite experience with Intel: Having 3 servers (2 QNAP NAS and 1 stand-alone) built with the energy light Intel J1900 and having first one stopping without any reason, and 1.5 years later the next one dying, just to find out that the J1900 (based upon C2000 series server-celeron) has a hardware bug (the LPC bug) which causes computers based on these chips to die at an accelerated speed. Actually, I replaced one of the QNAP NAS's with a newer NAS before I heard of this, and learned that this years old bug still is present on some newer Jxxxx series CPU's :( So having Ryzen's in my desktop, my wife's desktop and my laptop, without any problems, I actively sought out a energy efficient Ryzen chip for the OMV server, which will replace all the 3 Intel-based computers.

If you read what I wrote, nothing I said had anything to do w/ AMD CPU's. AMD CPU's are fine. I have no issue with them at all.. My issue is Realtek NIC's. (which it seems almost all AMD boards use). If I could find AMD boards w/ Intel NIC's, I'd give them a shot.. no question (I've seen them like maybe twice, and they are very very obscure)

• If you read what I wrote, nothing I said had anything to do w/ AMD CPU's. AMD CPU's are fine. I have no issue with them at all.. My issue is Realtek NIC's. (which it seems almost all AMD boards use). If I could find AMD boards w/ Intel NIC's, I'd give them a shot.. no question (I've seen them like maybe twice, and they are very very obscure)

I did read that :) It was just a rant, that all companies makes mistakes sometimes. I have an older PCI network adapter (old realtek) just for the cases when the built-in are messing up (and as you say, typically realtek's, but for me, typically newer realtek's).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!