Issues with portainer after running iptables -F

• I've had an issue form another thread where I can't pass any ports to any docker containers from the outside. Through the course of several days and a lot of help it became clear that the issue was related to docker in general and iptables specifically.

I wandered over to the docker forum and they recommended that - after backing up my configuration - I run iptables -F to wipe out whatever was in the iptables. I did so and then manually rebooted OMV.

After the first reboot docker reported that it had loaded but portainer said it was not installed. Ok, I clicked install, let it install and then rebooted.

When it came back it reported that docker was running and portainer was status "created". I rebooted again - nb luck, still stuck on "created". What should I do here? My containers are running.

(side note - it did not appear that flushing iptables fixed my original issue as I still can't pass ports to a docker container running on omv).

• iptables -F is temporary until the next boot, so has nothing to do with your problem. Here are the docs: https://linux.die.net/man/8/iptables

Not having an OMV in front of me, what is your problem? Can you access portainer on the given port?

If not, you have to use the cli and do docker ps -a  to get the list of containers and an docker logs -f portainer to get the logs from portainer.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• iptables -F is temporary until the next boot, so has nothing to do with your problem. Here are the docs: https://linux.die.net/man/8/iptables

Not having an OMV in front of me, what is your problem? Can you access portainer on the given port?

If not, you have to use the cli and do docker ps -a  to get the list of containers and an docker logs -f portainer to get the logs from portainer.

Thank you so much for this. I clicked on "Install" again for Portainer and now it tells me that it is running.

However, after waiting a few minutes it still isn't available in the UI. Here are the logs:

As you may recall, a couple of weeks ago you were helping to debug the issue of why I can't forward ports to docker containers. At your urging I went over to the docker forum and one of the mods urged me to run iptables -F. I ran it again a minute ago without rebooting - the port forwarding issue still seems to persist.

• It claims to be listening on port 9000.

docker inspect portainer please

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• It claims to be listening on port 9000.

docker inspect portainer please

sure, thank you again

• This looks pretty normal, the only thing which is different to my setup is that the ports are bound to IPv6 addresses too.

Do you have IPv6 enabled on OMV, if yes it may be worth a try to disable that.

• So I uninstalled it and reinstalled a couple of times and then it kicked in and has been fine ever since. I still have the bigger issue - as soon as I load docker I can't foward ports to OMV itself or to docker containers. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

• muchgooder

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Don't you think that is related? Portainer is just an ordinary container like the others, nothing special about it.

If you can access portainer on port 9000, the same should be possible for other containers.

• Don't you think that is related? Portainer is just an ordinary container like the others, nothing special about it.

If you can access portainer on port 9000, the same should be possible for other containers.

No, sorry - I think I confused you with my two different issues. In this issue I was only hoping to get portainer running again, which I have. I casually mentioned my other ongoing issue: docker is somehow spoiling port forwarding to docker containers or OMV itself.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!