Beginner User looking for some information OMV 6 on Debian 11 Bullseye

• I am a beginner at Linux in general. Files I'm using: openmediavault_6.0-34-amd64.iso, debian-11.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso
    First of all, should I be using another version of Debian for this to work properly, I seem to be running into a myriad of issues which leads me to believe I am using the wrong distro of Debian.

I know I'm looking at some hard work here I've already put about 30-40 hours in trying to get this running, I had OMV running by itself without preinstalling Debian but I couldn't get virtual box to install due some issue with bzip or one of it's dependencies. While trying to fix this I somehow corrupted my installation of OMV and am now starting from scratch. I can't even boot Debian without using nomodeset in grub because I lose graphical signal during boot time.

I'm here looking for information, guidance, and a good starting foundation for the most pain-free route to my goals as listed below. Thanks ahead of time for any time you might put into helping me.

Hardware: Intel i3 10100 with 630 UHD iGPU
    16gb of 3200Mhz RAM
    20TB of Storage
    MSI MPG-B560I-Gaming-Edge-WIFI

My Goals:
    1. SMB Fileserver for Windows System ( I had this working so I probably don't need any help with this.)

2. Plex or some type of media server for my own personal media library and maybe being able to play DVDs/Blu-Ray over the network.

3. Remote Access a Windows VM over home network wifi and hopefully when away from my home to my Handheld PC (Steam Deck)
    I'm not sure of the best way to do this or what is the easiest and most elegant solution but this is something I'd really like to be able to do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have so many questions, maybe something like this from the Guides section of the forum would be a good place for you to start: New User Guide - Getting Started with Openmediavault 6, 5, & 4

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!