500 - Internal Server Error Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory

• The conclusion can only be an official fix anyway otherwise it would make no sense to offer mergerfs in the GUI in the first place when it's buggy like that.

This only seems to happen to people who upgraded from OMV5 and with the unionfs in use.

Which I believe is your case.

I'm not well versed on this but the constants are those and when the upgrade changes from UnionFS to MergerFS, something goes sideways.

What I've seen is also the check of "fstab" on the GUI gives issues.

After stopping the Pool and remove it, when recreating it without the fstab checked, it works.

Nonetheless, I'll poke Zoki and ryecoaaron since they're the ones sorting solutions to this issue.

• Hm no, in my case it's a totally fresh install of OMV to a clean USB-stick. Only the data drives were previously in use in a mergerfs pool but that shouldn't matter.

To me the error I had and Zoki too which made me think it's a mergerfs issue is this one:

Code
    Apr  9 00:09:08 OMV systemd[1]: local-fs.target: Cannot add dependency job, ignoring: Unit srv-mergerfs-jbod.mount failed to load properly: File name too long.
  • Well, like I said, this is way out of my league.

But there's a github issue already ongoing (although the OP has encrypted drives) regarding this:

fstab option results in boot error and read-only mount · Issue #1 · OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/openmediavault-mergerfs (github.com)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not well versed on this but the constants are those and when the upgrade changes from UnionFS to MergerFS, something goes sideways.

Not sure what. They do the same thing.

What I've seen is also the check of "fstab" on the GUI gives issues.

If you check the fstab checkbox, you should get the same behavior as the 5.x plugins.

since they're the ones sorting solutions to this issue.

I don't know what the solution is. I switched the damn plugin to systemd (when fstab isn't checked) to avoid these issues and peoples systems seem to be very slow at mounting the disks which means the mergerfs pool can't mount (depends on the filesystems) and you get the root RO issue.

it's a mergerfs issue is this one:

None of this is the fault of mergerfs. The error you posted is systemd's fault. Not sure how you got a filename too long. I guess that could be the fault of the import but the only solution for that is to delete the import pool from the 5.x to 6.x pool and recreate.

The conclusion can only be an official fix anyway otherwise it would make no sense to offer mergerfs in the GUI in the first place when it's buggy like that.

I use this plugin myself on multiple systems. Just because some systems mount slow and have a problem which systemd is trying to protect doesn't mean the plugin is buggy. Is there possible an option that allows a longer delay to wait for these systems? probably but I don't know what it is. All I can say is don't use it if it is "buggy" or help fix.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• None of this is the fault of mergerfs. The error you posted is systemd's fault. Not sure how you got a filename too long. I guess that could be the fault of the import but the only solution for that is to delete the import pool from the 5.x to 6.x pool and recreate.

I didn't do any import, I'm experiencing this issue on a totally fresh OMV 6.x install.

I use this plugin myself on multiple systems. Just because some systems mount slow and have a problem which systemd is trying to protect doesn't mean the plugin is buggy. Is there possible an option that allows a longer delay to wait for these systems? probably but I don't know what it is. All I can say is don't use it if it is "buggy" or help fix.

I just gave a detailed comment in the corresponing issue on GitHub which Soma thankfully had linked to.

When something is buggy I might as well call it that when it's what I experience, it's not meant in an offensive way whatsoever. As mentioned on GitHub I'd help to investigate but need clear instructions how I could do so.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't do any import, I'm experiencing this issue on a totally fresh OMV 6.x install.

What is the output of: omv-showkey mergerfs

When something is buggy I might as well call it that when it's what I experience, it's not meant in an offensive way whatsoever. As mentioned on GitHub I'd help to investigate but need clear instructions how I could do so.

I understand you are having a problem and it is with mergerfs. I'm not offended but people are very quick to blame the plugin. Some systems may require special settings because it is impossible for the plugin's default options to cover all systems. I just don't know what needs to be changed. And just remember that posting on github reduces the number of people who see the info.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Regarding GitHub: Ok, going back to this forum then. I expected GitHub to be the primary way to communicate in case of bugs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I expected GitHub to be the primary way to communicate in case of bugs.

It can be but I probably fix more from forum posts. I'm not very formal with github procedures.

I don't see anything wrong with that setup. I can see how waiting for 10 drives would cause a timeout though. Does it mount readonly with fstab checked and unchecked?

• I have yet to try how it behaves with fstab unchecked. I'm not sure if I manage to try today though. ***

Btw I found that systemd.mount has several timeout options:

x-systemd.idle-timeout=

x-systemd.device-timeout=

x-systemd.mount-timeout=

TimeoutSec=

For details: https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/systemd/systemd.mount.5.en.html

And on https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=138716 I found this statement:

"See systemd-mount(5) for the details but basically you need to make a foo.mount unit file and use the After= and Wants= directives to control the ordering."

***EDIT I just tried the behaviour with fstab unchecked and so far so good: it booted up fine with the mergerfs pool fully working. I'll shut down the machine today and report back if the issue reappears when I boot it up again on sunday or next week.

• So this is sorted for now. I think moving to systemd is more robust as fstab, because if your mergers does not mount with fstab the root fs will be read only, which should not happen with systemd.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I've been fighting the read only fs on boot drive for the past few days. Fresh install of omv6 to new SSD, not an upgrade from omv5.

Finally found a couple threads (including this one) indicating turning off fstab option for mergerfs may fix it. Assume it did for me as well if I don't post back while crying heavily.

Thanks to all for making this forum so valuable! :thumbup::)

• markmarz Since I did leave the fstab option turned off the problem has not returned on my OMV6 system so I assume that you'll be fine.

Exactly! It's your experience (and others) that is turning my frown upside down.

:(:)

Ha-hah!

But I may be crying tomorrow.

I've been waylaid by updating my motherboard and as luck would have it, the first one was faulty. And turns out recent motherboards are UEFI only, so have to rebuild boot disk, blah blah blah. So naturally I was focused on more motherboard problems with the replacement (also ASRock, different model). I had just put an order in for an ASUS mb to see if that would help when I found this and other forum entries detailing the problem and (hopefully) solution. I cancelled the ASUS order and will give mergerfs another shot tomorrow.

Thanks!

• so this is a solution to a issue that I had with : 500 - internal server error failed to connect to socket no such file or directory

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# dpkg -l | grep openm

ii openmediavault 6.0.44-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution

rc openmediavault-flashmemory 6.2 all folder2ram plugin for openmediavault

ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

rc openmediavault-omvextrasorg 6.1.1 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# systemctl status openmediavault-engined.service

● openmediavault-engined.service

Loaded: masked (Reason: Unit openmediavault-engined.service is masked.)

Active: inactive (dead)

I first unsmasked the service

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# systemctl unmask openmediavault-engined.service

Removed /etc/systemd/system/openmediavault-engined.service.

Ran again to see the status :

● openmediavault-engined.service - The OpenMediaVault engine daemon that processes the RPC request

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/openmediavault-engined.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) =======>>>> now is loaded ( no unmask status )

Active: inactive (dead)

Started the service

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# systemctl start openmediavault-engined.service

● openmediavault-engined.service - The OpenMediaVault engine daemon that processes the RPC request

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/openmediavault-engined.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) ==========>>>>

Active: active (running) since Wed 2022-10-19 17:41:35 EEST; 1min 8s ago ==========>>>>

Process: 78728 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/omv-engined (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Main PID: 78730 (omv-engined)

Tasks: 1 (limit: 8986)

CPU: 197ms

CGroup: /system.slice/openmediavault-engined.service

└─78730 omv-engined

Oct 19 17:41:35 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting The OpenMediaVault engine daemon that processes the RPC request...

Oct 19 17:41:35 raspberrypi systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: Supervising process 78730 which is not our child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.

Oct 19 17:41:35 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started The OpenMediaVault engine daemon that processes the RPC request.

Now the Web/gui works.

Cheers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!