Hardware for a silent, low-power hot-swap NAS build

• I'm looking for recommendation on what hardware to get to get if I want a silent (or very nearly silent), very low power NAS server with at least four usable hot-swap drive-bays in a case that's not too large. I want to be able to leave it powered on 24/7 without worrying too much about electricity costs or the heat generated from the machine. It doesn't need to be ultra-fast or to have a sleek and sophisticated appearance. I'm not penny pinching on the cost, but don't want to waste money unnecessarily.

If it helps people understands the sort of thing I'm after, I would probably have bought a Helios64 rather than building something myself if they were still operating. I'm not adverse to buying something similar pre-built if there's something else on the market, but I'm not aware there is. Some sort of ARM hardware sounds like the way to get low power consumption at an affordable cost, maybe even a Raspberry Pi. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Hot swapability will probably turn out to be the more difficult part, especially at low cost and very low power dissipation.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!