Bad read-speed on RaspPi (but good write)

• Hello everyone,

Maybe you can help me with my problem, all the other contributions I have found so far in the vastness of the Internet have not been able to solve the problem.

A small spoiler in advance:

The text is translated with "https://www.deepl.com/translator", (not sponsored ;)) I think that makes it a bit more understandable than if I try it myself.

Answers in English are of course no problem.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with OMV installed. A 2.5" HDD is connected. Sharing in the home network via SMB. The entire home network is designed for 1Gbit/s, including switches, cabling and network cards.

The write speeds also match: From Windows 10 -> RPi-OMV = ~110 MB/s.

Unfortunately, the read speeds are much lower: From RPi-OMV -> Windows 10 (SSD) = 35-55 MB/s.

I tried the transfer with different end devices, also under Linux. The values were always nearly the same.

I don't understand why the transfer from the NAS to Windows/Linux is so much slower than the other way round. Actually, it reads from the NAS HDD, which in my opinion should be faster than writing.

I will list more technical data below and also what I have already tried.

I hope I can still get everything together so far...

---

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Original Manufacturer power supply

Linux version: 5.15.32-v8+

OMV version: 6.0.21-1 (Shaitan)

---

Storage:

OS (MicroSD): 64GB SanDisk Extreme

Data (HDD): 2.5" / USB 3.0 / 4TB / XFS / write cache enabled

---

I have also tested with an external USB 3.0 3.5" HDD with external power supply, here I achieve a read speed of ~60MB/s.

I have tested all extras in the SMB settings and shares as far as I know, but this has not helped.

I have attached a screenshot of the share.

I also ran "$ sudo hdparm -t /dev/sda1". The results are exactly as I would like them to be:

/dev/sda1:

Timing buffered disk reads: 356 MB in 3.01 seconds = 118.22 MB/sec.

I must have forgotten some important info, please let me know.

Greetings from Germany, I am grateful for any help.

• contributions I have found so far in the vastness of the Internet have not been able to solve the problem.

I'd recommend to search specifically in this forum using "site:forum.openmediavault.org".

There are many similar reports of bad performance with 2.5'' HDDs.

From my view it could be caused by Shingled magnetic Recording (SMR) and a too small drive hardware cache in combination with "XFS / write cache enabled".

Is your 2.5'' HDD one of these https://geizhals.eu/?cat=hde7s…ols=959&fcols=8457&sort=p ?

does performance change when HDD write cache is disabled?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Hey everyone,

please excuse the much too late response.

I didn't feel like taking care of the problem anymore and therefore resigned myself to the low read-speed for the time being.

Today I installed my Raspberry Pi with the newest version of RaspberryPi OS lite (64bit). I kept the settings for OMV from the old system.

Now I have a speed of 90-100 megabytes per second both reading from and writing to the NAS.

This is not a "nice" solution, but at least the problem was not with the HDD.

The only thing I have changed is the MicroSD card. Instead of a SanDisk Extreme 64GB, I now use a SanDisk High-Endurance with 128GB.

Greetings and Merry Christmas

NASuper

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!