OVM6 pre-upgrade question

• Hi,

i'm a very happy omv5 user and omv5 is running fine. I had a few quirks back in the days to get it up and running.

Now i want to ask., if omv6 is ready for my environment. I have

- bare metal dell server

- booting from usb stick

- docker containers running

- kmv vms running

- everything is bridged networking and reaching each other (was quite a pain to get this working with omv5)

- plugin openmediavault-backup running

- plugin flashmemory running

- plugin remotemount running

- plugin symlinks running

- plugin diskstats running

- plugin apttool running

- plugin kvm running

- plugin locate running

- plugin nut running

- plugin omvextras running

- plugin resetperms running

i know there is no 100% everything working warranty, as every system is unique. But does anyone see some obivous no goes from the list above?

Best regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope. I think you should be good to go. I would backup your OS disk first though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

For me OMV 6 was not an option yet because I couldn't get my drives to spindown which works fine on OMV 4 and 5. But this doesn't seem to be a requirement I presume given your setup.

Most people running server grade hardware and VMs are probably not spinning down their drives. I don't although more than half of my drives are ssd/nvme.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sure but at home I don't want the drives to spin 24/7.

My system is at home. But my point was that running VMs will not allow you to spin down the drives that they are using. And your spindown issue is most likely not an OMV6 issue but a kernel issue. I don't do spin anything down so I'm not much help on why though.

• My system is at home. But my point was that running VMs will not allow you to spin down the drives that they are using. And your spindown issue is most likely not an OMV6 issue but a kernel issue. I don't do spin anything down so I'm not much help on why though.

My VMs/Containers are running on a SSD which of course does not spin down. Wheres my movies are stored on a HDD which obviously does not need to run 24/7 and therefore should spin down. I think this is not the right thread to discuss this further because it is of no value to the actual topic.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wheres my movies are stored on a HDD which obviously does not need to run 24/7 and therefore should spin down. I think this is not the right thread to discuss this further because it is of no value to the actual topic

That is fine but you brought it up. The OP never mentioned spindown. And I disagree that hard drives should be spundown. I think it is hard on them (25+ years dealing with motors in industrial environment). But I will stop talking about it.

everything is bridged networking and reaching each other (was quite a pain to get this working with omv5)

let me know if this is still an issue with OMV 6.x. I made some changes to the OMV 6.x kvm plugin that should help with that especially when docker is involved.

• let me know if this is still an issue with OMV 6.x. I made some changes to the OMV 6.x kvm plugin that should help with that especially when docker is involved.

oh thats great news. Sure i will do that. It was quite a pain with omv and to be honest, i didn't remember what was the solution at the end, as it was a lot fiddling on the command line involved. I'm not even sure if it was kvm or cockpit or debian or omv which was the culprit.....

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was quite a pain with omv and to be honest, i didn't remember what was the solution at the end, as it was a lot fiddling on the command line involved. I'm not even sure if it was kvm or cockpit or debian or omv which was the culprit.....

It is docker that causes it. docker changes iptables rules. That is why I run my dockers in a VM on OMV using the KVM plugin. Everything just works.

• so upgrade done. Almost.... working.

Everything was running smoothly until grub-pc error at the end. Then i've found a reference here to "fix grub", selected my boot usb stick.... rebooted. But there are still the omv5 ONLY entries. This boots to omv6.......

....and i'm in an all new environment. the widgets are telling me: Linux 5.10.0-13-amd64

i've tried to find something in the forums to repair/install the correct boot entry, but failed

• Offizieller Beitrag

• Offizieller Beitrag

No 6.x entry in Grub

Technically, grub is just kernels. If you don't have the Debian 11 kernel, it isn't really a problem. What do you see with:

apt-cache policy linux-image-amd64

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your repos are good and your system wants to install the Debian 11 kernel. You just need to install it. sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64

• thank you! This worked. Running Linux 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 now.

....but shouldn't this be part of the upgrade process?

I did a:

sudo omv-upgrade

sudo omv-release-upgrade

sudo reboot

wasn't this enough?

...another odd behaviour, your and other plugins are running, are in the dashboard, but the plugins menu (to install) plugins is empty, but states 39 plugins overall are there

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes but something failed somewhere. Without the omv-release-upgrade output, it is hard to say why.

another odd behaviour, your and other plugins are running, are in the dashboard, but the plugins menu (to install) plugins is empty, but states 39 plugins overall are there

This is the omv-mkaptidx problem. Very common on upgrades that don't complete successfully. RE: OMV 5 to OMV 6 upgrade issue

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!