What's the technology inside commercial NAS to give access outside local lan?

• Hi,

I wonder what's the technology inside commercial NAS to give access to NAS data from outside the local lan flawlessly. I would like to replicate it in some way.

When I bought a WD My CLoud Nas, I just plug it in my LAN with access to internet and I can access my data from the WD web and apps from anywhere outside without doing anything on my router, no port forwarding, no VPN etc

At my home, I have no problem to setup port forward, VPN etc... But I would like to create a new OMV NAS system (for backuping) in a remote location (parents' house) where I have no access to router etc. So I would like to setup the same solution that is using commercial NAS in order to access my data remotely without anything to setup at my parents network: plug and play.

thanks for the hints

• When I bought a WD My CLoud Nas, I just plug it in my LAN with access to internet and I can access my data from the WD web and apps from anywhere outside without doing anything on my router, no port forwarding, no VPN etc

If a WD My cloud NAS does this, then I'm pretty sure I'll NEVER buy one.

Sorry but I don't believe this. No LAN equipment will be able to connect from WAN unless the router is portforwarding some ports to it.

Something needs to be done on the router to permit this.

Unless you plugged it straight to the router via USB and activated the Share (this is me speculating.)

• The mechanism is very easy:

• The NAS device connects to a cloud service run by the vendor and gives it access to your local files
    • You do not connect to your NAS when you try to access the files but to the vendors cloud service which in turn proxies your connection to the NAS.

To replicate this, you need

• A server on the internet (ceap vps will be enough)
    • A process on your NAS to connect to the server (ssh with port forwarding comes to my mind)
    • An ssh process on the other device which connects to the server and forwards traffic between the NAS and the other client.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Outgoing traffic usually is not limited, that's the whole thing. NAS conects to cloud service opening a network connection from the inside.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!