Searx (Feedback wanted)

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I got to talking to another user here about this. This isn't a "how to" per se, as I have very limited experience with this (last few hours). I'm not endorsing this but I thought it was pretty interesting for the privacy minded. There's apparently some youtube videos on setting some of this up. I've not watched any of them, so for better, for worse, everything below was whipped up in my own head.

Think of it as a self hosted search engine. Following is a basic docker set up of this container, and then a reverse proxy through swag so it can be used outside your network if you desire.

I couldn't really find a simple docker-compose for the container, so I made one. I figure many here are using Portainer and Stacks, so this would be easiest. Only thing you really need to adjust, is 1 volume. Think of this as searx's "/config" directory.

Once you're done, you can use this at your.local.ip:8090 (i changed it from the default 8080, as I have 8080 in use)

If you want to reverse proxy it with swag... here's a simple subdomain.conf for it. Adjust lines 37/38 for your system. I'm assuming most now how to set one of these up, but if you need help, just ask.

I then set up the subdomain for searx through my domain and restarted swag. Depending on how you have swag set up, it might pull a new cert.

Lastly, I went back to the searx stack, and adjusted my network_mode, and removed the # signs from that line. I then redeployed the searx stack.

Then I could access searx at https://searx.my-domain.url . Main benefit of this of course, is you'd be able to use "your" search engine, while off your network.

Speed.. it seems fine to me (I've got it running on a virtual machine right now, but I'm going to deploy it on hardware in a bit). Just some basic searching, it returned results I would expect.

• Never heard about this but poked my curiosity.

I'm home for a week and have a lot to finish on OMV (migrate everything to the interceptor) but I'll try to put this on a Pi and see how it performs.

It might take a tow on it but nothing that can't be tested, 😁

Unless it doesn't work on arm64.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Never heard about this but poked my curiosity.

I'm home for a week and have a lot to finish on OMV (migrate everything to the interceptor) but I'll try to put this on a Pi and see how it performs.

It might take a tow on it but nothing that can't be tested, 😁

Unless it doesn't work on arm64.

Seems to support arm64

https://github.com/searxng/searxng-docker

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don’t know if there is a difference between the compose you made and this, but a LinuxServer person pointed me to this link:

Yup, pretty https://virtualize.link/searx/#reverse-proxy

Man I looked all over and didn't see that. I built mine off a docker-run command, and looking at the set up after the container deployed.

They look essentially the same with only difference in how the cert was obtained. I'm not sure what cert provider he is using there, but I think most here are using swag or npm already.

Leaving base_url set to local, makes it accessible internally by ip:port. Then I just used the swag subdomain template to reverse proxy the ip:port through my domain. That's a fairly "swag" way of handling certs when not using one of their preconfigured .conf files, so I didn't deviate from it.

I've not messed w/ the settings.yml file yet, as that seems to basically just set up how it searches. Was gonna do that after some sleep.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Taking a brief look at the settings.yml... There's a lot of options.

So first things first, since I know it's working now, I backed it up. cd to whatever folder you have in your volume

cp settings.yml settings.yml.backup

General and Brand, I left as default

Under Search,

You can set the filter to automatically filter explicit results, etc. I just left at default, which is none.

I set autocomplete to autocomplete: "google" There's several options listed there, but I think this just limits the search to using Google.

Server, I left as is, since I it appears that was configured off of my compose file, so I don't need to mess with it

UI seems to deal with the theme... I've not really figured that out much, as themes seem to be scattered on github.

So basically all I changed was for it to use Google as it's default search. I saved, and restarted, did a search and it was fine.

If you use the "Maps" search, it uses Openstreetmap.. I'm assuming there is a way to change that.. as this settings.yml file is extensive. It's going to take some time reading up on all the options.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!