OneDrive plugin questions / feature request

• Hi,

I just upgraded to OMV6 and found out about the OneDrive plugin. Awesome! Some time ago I already tried setting up my own synchronization with abraunegg's onedrive service, but was struggling with automating the process and forgot about it. Now I noticed the new plugin and it works perfectly, thanks for integrating this!

There is one thing though... My OneDrive is fairly large (almost 600 GB), and my poor Pi 4 (4 GB RAM) is using quite some resources to check for differences at the configured intervals. I have set it to check once per hour, which is the longest possible interval, and every time it takes 15 minutes even if there are no differences. I can see this in the CPU graph, it's not per se User or System but mostly Wait-IO CPU usage. I have two questions now:

1. Can Wait-IO CPU usage slow down my Pi, or is it not something to worry about? So far it doesn't seem to give me any problems, but there are other important services (docker containers) running on the Pi and I want to minimize the risk that these are impacted

2. I don't make changes to my files very often, would it also be possible to set the synchronization interval to e.g. 6, 12 or even 24 hours? That would also allow my harddrive to spin down much more often

• @mvzut

Zitat

I just upgraded to OMV6 and found out about the OneDrive plugin. Awesome!

There is one thing though... My OneDrive is fairly large (almost 600 GB), and my poor Pi 4 (4 GB RAM) is using quite some resources to check for differences at the configured intervals. I have set it to check once per hour, which is the longest possible interval, and every time it takes 15 minutes even if there are no differences. I can see this in the CPU graph, it's not per se User or System but mostly Wait-IO CPU usage.

What client version are you running? OMV initially integrated v2.4.17 .. which, if you were using the OpenSuSE Build Service repository, you would be using v2.4.19. There are some significant performance differences between these versions.

Regarding the differences check .. once per hour is not the longest possible ... please read:

* 'monitor_interval' - https://github.com/abraunegg/o…USAGE.md#monitor_interval - this is the time between checks of OneDrive for online changes

* 'monitor_fullscan_frequency' - https://github.com/abraunegg/o…onitor_fullscan_frequency - controls how often the integrity check is performed. This is where I/O intensive operations come from and again is 100% dependent on what client version you are running as to how big of an impact this is.

Zitat

I don't make changes to my files very often, would it also be possible to set the synchronization interval to e.g. 6, 12 or even 24 hours? That would also allow my harddrive to spin down much more often

Please re-read the above 2 links. You need to configure your client to operate in alignment with your rate of data change. Potentially this may be ideal for your scenario:

* 'monitor_interval' = 3600 (check OneDrive online for changes 1hr after completion of last check)

* 'monitor_fullscan_frequency' = 12 (default, perform integrity check every 12 iterations of checking OneDrive for changes, approx every 12 hours or twice a day)

Zitat

Some time ago I already tried setting up my own synchronization with abraunegg's onedrive service, but was struggling with automating the process and forgot about it.

Next time please raise a Discussion for questions with the client - https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive/discussions - it is better to post there for assistance.

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • Thanks for the reply. However, the information doesn't solve my problem unfortunately . I know 60 minutes is not the longest interval, at least not when you use it "stand-alone" as described on GitHub. But 60 minutes is the longest interval that the plugin exposes via the OMV web interface. I want to be able to configure, start/stop etc everything from within OMV, including a longer interval than 60 minutes.

By the way, does anyone know where the options for the onedrive plugin are stored? If I type "onedrive --display-config" I get a different config than what I set in the OMV plugin. For instance it shows a monitor interval of 300, even though I set it at 60 minutes (=3600 seconds) in the web UI.

The reason I did not post my question on the onedrive GitHub is that this is OMV specific, I believe.

• Offizieller Beitrag

By the way, does anyone know where the options for the onedrive plugin are stored? If I type "onedrive --display-config" I get a different config than what I set in the OMV plugin. For instance it shows a monitor interval of 300, even though I set it at 60 minutes (=3600 seconds) in the web UI.

The configuration is stored in the /var/cache/onedrive directory.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the reply. However, the information doesn't solve my problem unfortunately . I know 60 minutes is not the longest interval, at least not when you use it "stand-alone" as described on GitHub. But 60 minutes is the longest interval that the plugin exposes via the OMV web interface. I want to be able to configure, start/stop etc everything from within OMV, including a longer interval than 60 minutes.

IMO it does not make sense to increase the number of checks greater than 1h. E.g. if you set it to 24h, a full-scan will be done every 24h*12... something you really don't want to have. I don't want to overload the UI with another option for monitor_fullscan_frequency.

I theory it is possible to let the plugin code configure the monitor_fullscan_frequency depending on the monitor_interval set in the UI, but which values should be used here to make everyone happy?

If you or anyone else want to see such a feature in OMV, please contribute the code to the project.

• @mvzut

With the application 'defaults' / OMV defaults and client version v2.4.20 (which you should be running) - what is your current CPU graph showing you for your performance?

IMHO - if your data online 'hardly' changes, you still should be checking OneDrive online at least every hour for any data change. This is reasonable. Telling then your system to perform an integrity check twice a day is also reasonable. This is the suggestion I made above. A tweak on this would be:

* 'monitor_interval' = 3600 (check OneDrive online for changes 1hr after completion of last check)

* 'monitor_fullscan_frequency' = 24 = perform integrity check every 24 iterations of checking OneDrive for changes

I would be really interested to see the following:

* Your current CPU usage graphs - what is the CPU actually doing. Can you graph the 'onedrive' process by itself? What is it actually doing in comparison?

* Your current experience with these settings given your prior issue statement "I have set it to check once per hour, which is the longest possible interval, and every time it takes 15 minutes even if there are no differences." ... as this will be the integrity check performing its job to validate your data

• Attached are my CPU usage graphs. Fortunately, the amount of CPU it uses is not that big anymore as in the beginning! As you can see, every 12 cycles it uses a bit more, but also nothing to worry about.

So actually my wish to increase the interval is not anymore because of CPU usage, it's more to reduce the amount of times my external harddrive spins up. If it needs to spin up for a few minutes every hour, I can just as well disable the sleep function, that's probably better for the harddrive. But I don't want that, I rarely need to access stuff on that drive. I only change or add files typically a few times per week, so I don't need hourly synchronization. I am working from OneDrive directly most of the times anyway. The synchronized copy on my harddrive is mostly intended as an extra backup, in case I would have problems with my internet connection. It just feels a bit more secure to have a local copy (all my photos and other important documents are on it).

So that's the reason that I would like a longer synchronization time, perhaps once or twice a day. I hope this clarifies my use case better? I would like to work on the code myself, but I am not experienced enough in the languages & frameworks that are used here. I am just a casual Python programmer, mostly for scientific purposes. I have tried to play with the json etc. files that seem to define the plugin's menus, but to no avail.

• The configuration is stored in the /var/cache/onedrive directory.

Thanks! As a VERY rough workaround, I have now manually edited this file to increase the interval time. I know this is going to be overwritten any time I change something in the plugin's UI, but for now it seems to work ;)

• @votdev

Quick question for you.

In OMV, when the service 'starts' or 'restarts' - it appears in some places that you are forcing a 'resync' on the data. Is my understanding correct?

What a resync will do is delete the local cache known state, and force a full integrity check as well - certainly not an ideal position to be in and this may lead to extended CPU loads / disk usage when starting up or restarting the service. If users are concerned about disk sleeps, system sleep, CPU usage running time - this will all add to that.

Additionally, I also see in one of the files, when you are doing an auth process (as per omv-onedrive-auth) - you are manually removing the refresh token, then also forcing a resync.

To perform a reauth, the recommended approach here would be to simplify your existing approach to just the following:

Code
    sudo -u onedrive onedrive --confdir /var/cache/onedrive --reauth

and, as per above, it is not recommended to do a resync post reauth ...

A resync should only be done for the following reasons:

* When the application advises because of a configuration change (skip_dir, skip_file for example are triggers)

* When changing the 'sync_dir' path

* When changing the 'drive_id'

* When updating 'sync_list' to control what is included|excluded in the sync process

* When updating OneDrive Business Shared Folders

If none of these client options have been updated, then a resync at startup IMHO should be avoided and not forced upon the application.

If a resync needs to be done, the application will advise the user to use resync .. perhaps there is a way for this to be 'monitored' by OMV to determine if the flag call was requested, so that the application can be restarted automatically with resync

• Offizieller Beitrag

In OMV, when the service 'starts' or 'restarts' - it appears in some places that you are forcing a 'resync' on the data.

Can you please point me to the code you are talking about? I do not remember that i'm doing this except in the omv-onedrive-auth command.

The omv-onedrive-auth script has been improved according your suggestion. Thx.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If a resync needs to be done, the application will advise the user to use resync .. perhaps there is a way for this to be 'monitored' by OMV to determine if the flag call was requested, so that the application can be restarted automatically with resync

How can check this flag? I think monitd can do that and trigger a resync if necessary.

• How can check this flag? I think monitd can do that and trigger a resync if necessary.

The 'exit' value of the application will be 126 if a resync is required

So if you check for exit value of the process, if it equals 126, then you can restart the service with the additional resync flags - this would be cleaner than specifying resync for startup

Can you please point me to the code you are talking about? I do not remember that i'm doing this except in the omv-onedrive-auth command.

The omv-onedrive-auth script has been improved according your suggestion. Thx.

It might have been just the auth script - I dont know enough of your code / default startup options etc ... based on my reading it looked like also on service start, the default option was to resync .. hence my question

• Offizieller Beitrag

The 'exit' value of the application will be 126 if a resync is required

I assume i have to run onedrive --display-sync-status to get the required exit code, right?

When i have enabled onedrive --monitor via systemd, how can i check if a resync is necessary? If i run onedrive --display-sync-status i get an error message + segfault.

Bash
    # /usr/bin/onedrive --confdir /var/cache/onedrive --display-sync-status
    Configuration file successfully loaded
    Configuring Global Azure AD Endpoints

ERROR: onedrive application is already running - check system process list for active application instances

Segmentation fault

Code
    Aug 18 10:05:36 omv6box kernel: onedrive[35844]: segfault at 0 ip 0000000000000000 sp 00007fffbef901f8 error 14 in onedrive[55cecd80f000+224000]
    Aug 18 10:05:36 omv6box kernel: Code: Unable to access opcode bytes at RIP 0xffffffffffffffd6.

Code
    # dpkg -l | grep onedrive
    ii  onedrive                       2.4.20-1+np1                   amd64        folder synchronization with OneDrive
    ii  openmediavault-onedrive        6.2.4-1                        all          openmediavault OneDrive plugin

Do i really have to stop the systemd unit, run the --display-sync-status command, do a --resync if necessary and then restart the systemd unit (--monit)? That sound weird to me.

• No - you should not have to do that whole song & dance.

OK ... the segmentation fault on --display-sync-status is an odd one ... it should not be doing that. Please report that as a bug to be fixed. That command also tells you if your data / system is in-sync with OneDrive .. not if the application needs a resync.

Essentially, if you 'change' any configuration:

* When the application advises because of a configuration change (skip_dir, skip_file for example are triggers)

* When changing the 'sync_dir' path

* When changing the 'drive_id'

* When updating 'sync_list' to control what is included|excluded in the sync process

* When updating OneDrive Business Shared Folders

Then try and 'restart' the client to use this updated configuration, the exit code should be 126 if a resycnc is required.

systemd services should be sighup post a config change, and this is where you should see then the service not starting with an exit code of 126

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hmmm, this makes it impossible to use monit to check the resync status.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!