Upgrade from 5.26.1 to Version 6 - missing all Symlinks in Symlinks Service tab

• Thanks again for all the hard work on OMV.

I just ran the update script to update from 5.26.1 (I think) to Version 6. Everything went seemingly well except for missing OMV Extra Plugins (solved by running the fixes recommended on the forums) and also that my Mariadb service had stopped (restarted manually). Everything seems to be working well except for some of my docker containers that relied on symbolic links and the symbolic link plugin are not working. When I go to the symlinks tab under Services my previous symbolic links are all gone.

I did run an FSA encrypted backup of the entire OMV drive BEFORE doing the update (using the backup plugin) and so I have the OMV backup available (although I do not know how to mount an FSA archive to recover just one file).

Is there a way I can mount the FSA archive and import my previous symbolic links into the Version 6 interface. At the moment this issue has broken my Nextcloud docker instance which relies on symbolic links to a MariaDB database running natively (not in docker) on OMV. Any help greatly received. Thanks. :)

I just ran ls -l on my root OMV directory and I can see some of the old symbolic links,

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 44 Oct 22 2017 mysqltmp -> /srv/dev-disk-by-label-1.41.12-1354/mysqltmp

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 53 Oct 16 2017 nextcloudappdata -> /srv/dev-disk-by-label-1.41.12-1354/nextcloud/appdata

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 63 Sep 26 2017 nextclouddata -> /srv/dev-disk-by-label-1.41.12-1354/nextcloud/nextcloudfiledata

Could it be the issue with the disk label topic I read for version 6. I may have some older links here and so I only want to restore the ones which were previously in the symlinks plugin before the upgrade.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von newbie7800 () aus folgendem Grund: added details

• Offizieller Beitrag

Something must have uninstalled the plugin at some point. What is the output of:

dpkg -l | grep openme

sudo omv-showkey symlinks

And a symlink not showing in the plugin does not mean it does not exist. It just isn't in the database. You can import existing symlinks as well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks a lot for responding. The plugin is visible in the GUI. It just does not list any symlinks. I just saw the import function and the import function does list some of my historical symlinks. I do not want to run any command that would put into the database any symlinks previously that I created but then removed from the GUI. So ideally I would like to just have the symlinks visible in the database immediately before the upgrade (if possible).

But it also seems more complicated because version 6 appears to have installed an upgrade to Mariadb and it now only finds databases listed in /etc/mysql whereas I had databases in a folder in the root directory of OMV which previously were showing when I logged in as root in Mysql and did "Show databases". The databases are in the same folders but not visible any longer to mariadb...so I now have 2 problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The output would still help if something else was wrong.

That is why I would recommend running mysql/mariadb in docker - upgrades of the OS won't affect anything.

• I think I know what happened to the mariadb database issue. My old my.cnf was deleted as part of the upgrade to version 6 but it was copied by the system to a "my.cnf.migrated". Will stop the database and try and restore the old file as a start. I have also added back the symlink for my database using the import function and ensuring the drive label ID is not used. I will let you know if this works for the database issue. Still it would be nice to understand if I can find the original database file in the FSA backup or through some other means which listed what symlinks were last in the symlink plugin as enabled BEFORE I did the upgrade, as I do have the full backup. Is this at all possible? Thanks

• Ok, so the database issue is solved. It was the upgrade migrating my old my.cnf file. Something to watch out for other users. By moving the migrated file back to my.cnf I could see all my mariadb databases. I now have Nextcloud back up and running (with some other errors but still running). This maybe impacted me because I had a non-default data directory for Mariadb installed on OMV (which was also part of my symlinks).

Still would be very interested if there is a way I can find out what symlinks were "enabled" in the symlink plugin before the upgrade. Thanks a lot.

• You are right about the MariaDB issue. I do need to think about migrating to Docker. Originally some years ago when I started OMV server, this was too complicated for me but since then my Docker setups are quite complex and I could probably manage it. I did run the first command you showed me and it showed the plugin for symlinks was version 6. I just do not want to run the second command unless you think it will not enable symlinks previously disabled in version 5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Still would be very interested if there is a way I can find out what symlinks were "enabled" in the symlink plugin before the upgrade.

Can't without output.

I just do not want to run the second command unless you think it will not enable symlinks previously disabled in version 5.

No offense but I wrote the plugin and know it well. Why would I ask you to run a potentially destructive command? All it does is show what is in the database for the specified plugin.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• version 6 appears to have installed an upgrade to Mariadb

I now have Nextcloud back up and running (with some other errors but still running).

If you have MariaDB and Nextcloud installed on the host, you probably also have Apache running with it.
    This can and will give you complications with OMV since it runs and depends on NginX.

Ok, so the database issue is solved. It was the upgrade migrating my old my.cnf file. Something to watch out for other users.

Other (all) users that follow the guides that are supported and available on the forum, use the docker way with linuxserver image because it uses a dockerized nginx instead of apache.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!