KVM Plugin no cloning possible for a specific VM

• Hi,

after I managed to install and configure a previous deleted VM I am facing another issue. Only this specific VM I cannot do a clone of.

When I click on clone it just happens nothing. Could not find a error log for it as well.

Looking into the XML file of the disk config it is very strange. Maybe a result of me trying to schedule a backup.

Still, main issue is no cloning possible.

As always, an help is much appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin doesn't use anything fancy to clone a vm. Just uses virt-clone:

virt-clone --original SOURCE_VM --name NEW_VM --auto-clone

Run that command and see what output you get. Does the source VM have snapshots on it? Is it actually creating a new VM?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello Sir,

yes the VM has snapshots but with no file extension

Code
    -rwx------ 1 libvirt-qemu libvirt-qemu  170590720 10. Aug 10:47 openwrt-21.backup-snapshot_2022-08-10_03-07-02
    -rwx------ 1 libvirt-qemu libvirt-qemu   78708736 10. Aug 12:36 openwrt-21.backup-snapshot_2022-08-10_10-47-29
    -rw------- 1 libvirt-qemu libvirt-qemu     197120 10. Aug 12:36 openwrt-21.backup-snapshot_2022-08-10_12-36-07
    -rw------- 1 libvirt-qemu libvirt-qemu  158204416 10. Aug 13:05 openwrt-21.backup-snapshot_2022-08-10_12-39-18
    -rw------- 1 root         users            458752 10. Aug 13:49 openwrt-21.backup-snapshot_2022-08-10_13-05-02
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 libvirt-qemu libvirt-qemu  148635648  9. Aug 09:51 openwrt-21.qcow2

This is the output when I try to clone the *.qcow2 file. But the snapshots without file extension face the same error:

Code
    virt-clone --original openwrt-21.qcow2 --name test_openwrt21 --auto-clone
    ERROR Domain 'openwrt-21.qcow2' nicht gefunden.

It says Domain not found.

• Offizieller Beitrag

yes the VM has snapshots but with no file extension

And they shouldn't. Do you really need five snapshots?

It says Domain not found.

You entered the disk filename not the VM's name.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• No, not really. In OMV GUI I see only 2. Honestly I did try it before without any snapshots and did not work.

This is the output when I try to clone:

I noticed the warning regarding the permissions but from my perspective they are fine:

Code
    drwxrwxr-x   2 root                  root  4096 10. Aug 13:05 ISO
    drwxrwxr-x   2 root                  root  4096 10. Aug 12:17 KVM
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I noticed the warning regarding the permissions but from my perspective they are fine:

You only listed one directory it was complaining about. Do the other directories it complains about have the executable bit set for them?

But there isn't much I can do here. virt-clone is not something I maintain. Personally, I would delete the snapshots and/or power off the VM. Haven't you had issues with this VM before?

• Checked it and looks fine.

Powering off and starting the VM is no prob. Everything works except for cloning.

Yeah, you are right. This is the VM I deleted accidentally and it took me now a while to have it configured again.

So I am going to install a new one and try to load the config from the "broken" one. Think OpenWRT and me are not going to be friends anymore :D

Again, thank you very much for your quick help. It is much appreciated how much you do for this community.

• MCno1

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Think OpenWRT and me are not going to be friends anymore

Out of curiosity, why did you choose OpenWRT for x86?

• I use it as a router for VPN and some VMs are connected there so they are on their own network.

It is historically conditioned. There was once a excellent tutorial for virtualbox. There it was quite easy to configure. When I decided to switch to OMV6, the plan was to install Proxmox as base and virtualize OMV6. In Proxmox I could import the VM from vbox. But I was not completely happy with the solution and switched to OMV6 with KVM plugin. There I got the old VM to work as well.

No my OpenWRT installation is no longer supported, so I was "forced" to switch. But there is no manual which is understandable for me, so I had to fight my way through. Unfortunately I don't know much about networking and Linux. Therefore, I always have to read a lot or watch tutorials and then somehow adapt to my environment. Also, I really wanted to get it working. That was just because of my ego ^^

But in a nutshell: My server is running anyway so I don't want any extra hardware and the other solutions like pfSense were too complicated for me at first sight.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!